I need your help to rescue photos!

Ed687gar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can I ask a question about my memory card here? I hope I come to the right place.
Does anyone know how to get lost images back from my Canon camera memory card?
I have a memory card used on my Canon camera and it has helped hold many previous images of the past few months. However, recently, because of some card error, I have no choice but to format it. But, all these images are there without any copy. So, I need your help to get all them all back. How could I do that? Any help or advice could be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Once the card has been formatted they are gone. It would cost a lot of $$$$ to get a forensic tech to retrieve them if they are still retrievable (I'm not 100% sure if it is possible to retrieve from a memory card or not).

Once the card has been formatted they are gone

Not true they are only really gone once the memory space on hue he card or hard drive has been written over. All formatting a card or drive does is essentially throw out the index that tells the card or hard drive what files are on it and where on it they are.

All formatting a card does is make the memory locations available again. All the image data is still there AS LONG AS NO NEW IMAGE FILES HAVE BEEN WRITTEN TO THE MEMORY CARD.

Even then, the only images that will be lost are image s that have been over-written by new data.

There is software available, like Recuva, that can likely recover some or most of the images.

Can I ask a question about my memory card here? I hope I come to the right place.
Does anyone know how to get lost images back from my Canon camera memory card?
I have a memory card used on my Canon camera and it has helped hold many previous images of the past few months. However, recently, because of some card error, I have no choice but to format it. But, all these images are there without any copy. So, I need your help to get all them all back. How could I do that? Any help or advice could be appreciated! Thanks!!!

First thing DO NOT USE THE CARD the more the card is uses the less likely you are to get anything off.

You will need to use a data recovery program like Data Rescue 3
http://www.prosofteng.com/DRSpecial.php

This is a Mac only app. I'm sure there are programs for windows but I don't know what they are named.

Once the card has been formatted they are gone. It would cost a lot of $$$$ to get a forensic tech to retrieve them if they are still retrievable (I'm not 100% sure if it is possible to retrieve from a memory card or not).

Absolutely and utterly false. They are only gone if you continue to use the card and write other files onto it.

And a quick Google search for "Freeware image recovery" will return loads of free software that will recover the files.

And for less than $100, you can get 'forensic tech'-grade software.

Just one note to add, you mentioned that because of "some card error" you were forced to format the card. Depending on what that card error was there may or may not be any data to retrieve from that card.

OK! As l know, before you’ve overwritten all your original images with other new files on the same memory card, you do have possibilities to get them all back with the help of data recovery program like 4Card Recovery, Recuva and iCare Data Recovery Free and more.

Overall, no matter which one you choose to use, you’d better not overwrite this memory card with anything else.

Note: You’d better never format a memory card or drive without any data backup in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back