I saved a camera from the landfill!

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was helping my brother move and he was gonna throw this camera in the trash but I like cameras so I kept it.

It had battery that was starting to corrode so I cleaned it up and replaced the battery and voila it worked just fine. I had zero intentions on using the camera, just was gonna add it to my very small collection and I'm like eh what the heck? I'll throw a roll of film in it yesterday and see I get. Maybe I'll get some nostalgic looking photos that I remember from the 90s and early 2000s from a cheap p&s film camera.

Only a fool like me would use a $10 roll of film in a plastic film camera that's worth $10 😂

But isn't it that the point to just have fun with photography? I'm actually really curious how they'll turn out because you don't know what will be in focus, don't have clue what the exposure will be but that's sort of fun for me in a way, like the Holga. You have vague idea on composition but that's it. With a film SLR, you know the focus and the settings..this thing is just a point and pray 😂

Erwin-231005-85937.jpg

I bring home an average of around 2-3 cameras a week from the trash can here at the camera store. Most get sold "as is" "parts/repair" but some stay in the collection.
Hate to see all those go in the trash. 8mm movie projectors as well, I think I have around 40 of those now.

Some of these became "cult" cameras, like the Konica Big Mini, especially when photographers like Robert Frank and Hiromix shot them. Relatively rare fixed focal length models like this were often quite good and survived more often than zoom models under amateur torture.

Love my Ricoh GR II digital--tiny all-metal powerhouse. Super-sharp 28mm equiv lens and LCD-only VF that camouflages me as just another phone-shooter. Sleeper camera.

View attachment 269124
Thanks, Scotty. Just a grab shot from an early Sunday morning walk. Nice to have a pocket camera this good.

Hello Everyone. My first post in the Forums here.
I just last year bought a used Nikon D750 and I had one lens. A Nikon 18-55mm.
I am just a simple café cook so I can't really afford to go out and buy anything special so I planned to just stick with the one lens and see what came up later on.
Not more than three week's later I was taking garbage to the local dump and noticed a fair sized plastic bin off to the side where people leave stuff.
I decided to see what was there.
To my amazement there was a bunch of camera gear there.
2 Yashica Electro 35 cameras
1 Yashica Electro X
1 Yashica DX 50mm f1.4
1 Yashinon R-Zoom 90-190mm f5.8
1 Accura Diamatic 135mm f2.8
1 Sears Tele-Zoom 90-230mm f4.5 (I had to laugh at it but ok)
1 Vivtar 200mm f3.5
1 Lentar 2x Tele-Converter
3 various size hoods
Since everything had M42 mount I had to get some adaptors, but that is considerably cheaper than lenses.
The two Electro 35 cameras have built in lenses, and they were both out of whack and stuck.
The Electro X has the M42 mount, although I did not test it since I wasn't interested in searching for a battery for it.
Since all of the lenses are manual it gave me loads of time to acquaint myself thoroughly with using manual on the camera.
I've kept all the gear and even set the camera's on a shelf not only as a look back at gear of old, but also to remember my lucky day at the dump.

So I had all intentions of sharing the photos I took with this camera here. I just finally got my film developed from this camera so I wanted to share a few of my best shots taken with this camera. I can say that it was quite a terrible experience. Half of the photos came back blurry and oddly I seemed to have only used this camera on days when it was dark haha. I think this crappy p&s likes light. I am most def not going to be shooting with it again!

Here they are. Taken with a Samsung Maxima Zoom 120 Ti on Kodak Colorplus 200.

Erwin-240310-87546.jpg

Erwin-240310-87549.jpg

Erwin-240310-87550.jpg

Erwin-240310-87553.jpg

Erwin-240310-87560.jpg

Erwin-240310-87564.jpg

Erwin-240310-87568.jpg

Erwin-240310-87571.jpg

Erwin-240310-87576.jpg

Erwin-240310-87577.jpg

I like all the cat ones 🐈 and I really like the last one, interesting shapes and angles in a simple way.

Hello Everyone. My first post in the Forums here.
I just last year bought a used Nikon D750 and I had one lens. A Nikon 18-55mm.
I am just a simple café cook so I can't really afford to go out and buy anything special so I planned to just stick with the one lens and see what came up later on.
Not more than three week's later I was taking garbage to the local dump and noticed a fair sized plastic bin off to the side where people leave stuff.
I decided to see what was there.
To my amazement there was a bunch of camera gear there.
2 Yashica Electro 35 cameras
1 Yashica Electro X
1 Yashica DX 50mm f1.4
1 Yashinon R-Zoom 90-190mm f5.8
1 Accura Diamatic 135mm f2.8
1 Sears Tele-Zoom 90-230mm f4.5 (I had to laugh at it but ok)
1 Vivtar 200mm f3.5
1 Lentar 2x Tele-Converter
3 various size hoods
Since everything had M42 mount I had to get some adaptors, but that is considerably cheaper than lenses.
The two Electro 35 cameras have built in lenses, and they were both out of whack and stuck.
The Electro X has the M42 mount, although I did not test it since I wasn't interested in searching for a battery for it.
Since all of the lenses are manual it gave me loads of time to acquaint myself thoroughly with using manual on the camera.
I've kept all the gear and even set the camera's on a shelf not only as a look back at gear of old, but also to remember my lucky day at the dump.
Just seeing this. I would love to have a discovery like this!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back