I want to try this filter, or technique. Tell me what this technique is, however.

brea-tarpits

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chapterthree/302864245/in/set-72157600184613154/

The Flickr.com photographer chapterthree uploaded this image. I tried searching for some filters that may replicate this "dark-world/ cold / blue-greyish" coloring on my photos. The last thing I can say is that he must have used a infrared. Am I correct. If not, how do I achieve his effect?

I want your infrared filter recommendations.

Thanks.

i dont think its IR, but a duo-tone. I know nothing about the technique, but thats the first thing i thought when i saw the picture. Maybe you can google it and see for yourself.
As for IR filter recommendations: HOYA R72. Most of the people use this filter to shoot IR, including myself. You will have to look for a lens that works with it though. You can fit it on any lens you want offcourse, but for example, the Canon kitlens (18-55) will make a horrible hotspot in the middle of the pic. And the longer the exposure, the brighter the hotspot will get. The Canon 50mm 1.8 MKII however, will work great with the HOYA.

First impression I get out of this that a) it is taken in either true HDR-technique or the tone mapping that can be done with one RAW-file set to different exposures to then be blended into one picture, b) conversion into b&w and c) creation of a duotone picture by re-adding some blue.

It's definitely tonemapped (buildings glow), post processed beyond that to further affect the dynamics (sky has unnaturally high dynamics even for tone mapped images), and duo tone (yellow and blue).

It is not IR (clouds don't look like that on IR and the buildings seem too dark for it). Don't know if it's a true HDR (probably not because of the moving water being so clear).

Thank you leftbehind, doenoe, LaFoto, and Garbz. I thought the picture looked too good to be non-photoshopped.

Most reactions

Back