I was bored so I installed in-ceiling speakers

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been upgrading my home theater setup this spring little by little. Yesterday I finally finished them up by install two ceiling speakers to complete my 5.1.2 atmos setup.

It was a fun project running the wires in the attic which is just a crawl space but I found a way to get the wires to my AVR & to the ceiling speakers without having to get into the attic.

20230417_102925.jpg
20230417_102937.jpg

Got a couple of these cool Klipsch 6.5" ceiling speakers which can be angled, as well as the the tweeter.

20230417_123914.jpg
20230417_132116.jpg

I really hate popcorn ceiling (don't worry, it isn't the asbestos kind!) - Eventually I'll scrap it and sand it and paint it smooth but ugh not looking forward to that!!! But yeah it was fun getting the speaker wires there 🙃

20230417_132120.jpg

20230418_102411.jpg

Got them both in, looks pretty clean. I'm happy with them. They are magnetic covers so you can easily pop them off and make adjustments if needed.

VideoCapture_20230418-103454.jpg

And of course the main setup in the room.

It was a fun (and expensive) setup but movies never sounded better. I watched Blade Runner 2049 and with the dual 10" subwoofers haha it was pretty mind blowing. Spectacular experience!

That's a little home improvement project that turned out great! Kudos to you.

Popcorn ceilings are pretty awful, I agree. Lived in a house with them for over 20 years and can attest to their uselessness!

That's a little home improvement project that turned out great! Kudos to you.

Popcorn ceilings are pretty awful, I agree. Lived in a house with them for over 20 years and can attest to their uselessness!
I wouldn't say popcorn ceiling is entirely useless though, they do provide acoustical properties removing a bit of echo as the bumps in the popcorn ceiling kinda absorbs the sound waves so the do provide some usefulness but they are out of date by today's standards for sure.

I wouldn't say popcorn ceiling is entirely useless though, they do provide acoustical properties removing a bit of echo as the bumps in the popcorn ceiling kinda absorbs the sound waves so the do provide some usefulness but they are out of date by today's standards for sure.
Useless in that if water stains appear on it (don't ask me how I know) ;) then it's near impossible to cover over or paint it fresh. I can't speak to the acoustics part, that may be true! I've just come to appreciate a flat ceiling.

Useless in that if water stains appear on it (don't ask me how I know) ;) then it's near impossible to cover over or paint it fresh. I can't speak to the acoustics part, that may be true! I've just come to appreciate a flat ceiling.
Every house I lived up in had popcorn ceiling, I wonder what life is like with flat ceilings lol.

Every house I lived up in had popcorn ceiling, I wonder what life is like with flat ceilings lol.
It means you get to paint them if you "must"! ;) An icky job, but lovely freedom of not having to stare at discolorations.

I think my friend used a DEEP roller, to paint over his popcorn ceiling. This was also to seal in the asbestos, so he did not have to pay to have it professionally removed.
The deep roller just globbed on the paint, so that the paint would go into the texture.
But it probably dripped a lot, as the excess paint dripped off.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back