If You Have the Need for Speed

gckless

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a quick reminder, I'm sure most of you know but some may benefit; if you are one of those people that are always bumping the ceiling of your camera's buffer, make sure you're using the fastest memory cards that your camera allows. Not only will you be able to take more shots in succession, but after the buffer fills it will be less time before those shots are written to memory.

My personal experience: I had older cards, Lexar Professional Class 10 32GB cards, one in each slot on a D7200. I recently found a deal on SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC/SDHC UHS-1 cards, so I got a 64GB and 32GB card. Shooting JPEG fine + RAW, using the old cards, I could only take 10 shots before the buffer filled, and it would take 10+ seconds for the camera to fully write those in the buffer to the memory card. After I put these new cards in, I was able to take 13 shots, and the camera only takes 3-4 seconds to write those to the memory card.

A good fast card does help, but there is a max write speed on your camera hardware also. This makes it pointless in paying for a card that is over a certain speed, just something to be aware of as the cards get faster and faster

Just a quick reminder, I'm sure most of you know but some may benefit; if you are one of those people that are always bumping the ceiling of your camera's buffer, make sure you're using the fastest memory cards that your camera allows. Not only will you be able to take more shots in succession, but after the buffer fills it will be less time before those shots are written to memory.

My personal experience: I had older cards, Lexar Professional Class 10 32GB cards, one in each slot on a D7200. I recently found a deal on SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC/SDHC UHS-1 cards, so I got a 64GB and 32GB card. Shooting JPEG fine + RAW, using the old cards, I could only take 10 shots before the buffer filled, and it would take 10+ seconds for the camera to fully write those in the buffer to the memory card. After I put these new cards in, I was able to take 13 shots, and the camera only takes 3-4 seconds to write those to the memory card.

I think more people should be aware that the card manufacturers put the best speed in big lettering on the pack which is in most cases relates to the read speed of the card not the write speed.

I feel the need; the need for speed.
c0e87c41231f56929b3dec4eb27335b0.jpg

Class
upload_2016-5-20_16-23-58.png
is just the minimum speed for the card without bus limitations, so it's possible to have a class 2 that is faster than a class 6 card.
The current fastest card is the 64GB Sandisc extreme pro. A budget card that is still nearly as fast but 1/2 the cost is the
64GB Transcend W60MB/s, while slower, it's still fast enough to shoot 4k videos to.

Last edited:
A good fast card does help, but there is a max write speed on your camera hardware also. This makes it pointless in paying for a card that is over a certain speed, just something to be aware of as the cards get faster and faster

Yes sir, that's what I meant by "what your camera allows." Guess I didn't really elaborate, so good lookin' out.

I think more people should be aware that the card manufacturers put the best speed in big lettering on the pack which is in most cases relates to the read speed of the card not the write speed.

This is true. Same with hard drives or internet bandwidth or anything really. Marketing, they'll get ya if you don't pay attention.

You have one of those newfangled Nikons? What other cameras are using those? I'm definitely jealous though!

Yes sir, that's what I meant by "what your camera allows." Guess I didn't really elaborate, so good lookin' out.

This is true. Same with hard drives or internet bandwidth or anything really. Marketing, they'll get ya if you don't pay attention.

You have one of those newfangled Nikons? What other cameras are using those? I'm definitely jealous though!
It was for my client's D5.
Wait till you see the 256GB CFast cards he ordered for his 1Dx Mk2.
Did not even flinch when I told him the price.

I avoid Lexar since I had a huge run of bad luck or bad cards, depending on how you want to look at it. Sandisc is always a good choice for me.

Well, unfortunately, if you're on XQD - Lexar is your only choice. Well and Sony, but those are only even worse.

For Secure Digital (SD etc) and Compact Flash cards though SanDisk Extreme Pro are the way to go. At least everybody and their dog on the internet claims so. They are both the fastest AND the most reliable.

Its also a good idea to limit yourself to 32 GB, apparently. Because thats a border of compability to cross. I use 64 GB cards(*) and I needed new readers etc for that.

(*) Well actually two of them. On my D750, with RAW+JPEG and in backup mode, they run full the moment my battery runs out.

I've found issues with Lexar, I've had issues with SanDisk. Neither are more reliable.
Both better than PNY and Silicon Power

For Secure Digital (SD etc) and Compact Flash cards though SanDisk Extreme Pro are the way to go. At least everybody and their dog on the internet claims so. They are both the fastest AND the most reliable.

Well in the interest of full disclosure I use Sandisk Extreme Pro and swear by them, my dog, however, has not yet stated a preference.

Transcend has very high quality components and manufacturing.

Whoa. Those are more than an M.2 card! But if you have a need for those, or can afford them, I'm sure accepting less is rough.

I avoid Lexar since I had a huge run of bad luck or bad cards, depending on how you want to look at it. Sandisc is always a good choice for me.

The Lexar cards I replaced were good to me for 4 years. And I didn't keep them in the camera the whole time either. It's kinda like HDDs, you get some good, some bad from any manufacturer. Some brands just have less duds than others.

Well, unfortunately, if you're on XQD - Lexar is your only choice. Well and Sony, but those are only even worse.

Its also a good idea to limit yourself to 32 GB, apparently. Because thats a border of compability to cross. I use 64 GB cards(*) and I needed new readers etc for that.

Well that's going to depend on the card reader. I've been using a USB3.0 reader for 4 years, didn't have to upgrade it. But it's just like any equipment, just have to know the limits and bottlenecks. Kinda like when I tried to put 16GB of RAM in my computer, and later (after some headaches) realized my MOBO only supports 8GB -_-
Guess it's time to build a new computer. PCI-e boot drives here I come!

Whoa. Those are more than an M.2 card! But if you have a need for those, or can afford them, I'm sure accepting less is rough.

The Lexar cards I replaced were good to me for 4 years. And I didn't keep them in the camera the whole time either. It's kinda like HDDs, you get some good, some bad from any manufacturer. Some brands just have less duds than others.

Well that's going to depend on the card reader. I've been using a USB3.0 reader for 4 years, didn't have to upgrade it. But it's just like any equipment, just have to know the limits and bottlenecks. Kinda like when I tried to put 16GB of RAM in my computer, and later (after some headaches) realized my MOBO only supports 8GB -_-
Guess it's time to build a new computer. PCI-e boot drives here I come!
OK
QXD is too slow.
If you have money to burn, get these bad boys
ee6bc4f93da0dea15e0535da5762847f.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back