If you're going to buy Nikon - do it now

MTVision

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Global-fallout-of-Thai-floods-30167951.html

[quote name='DavidH' timestamp='1319247327' post='5228307']
Nikon's production facility in Thailand has been completely flooded and is officially 'totaled'. They have been producing their entire DX camera line there. Production has completely stopped and since the building and machinery is pretty much gone there is little chance they will be able to pick up production soon.

Affected is a large industrial area including Sony's entire camera production, Canon printers, Toyota cars and many many others.

They said they have about a month worth of cameras in stock, then they are in trouble. This comes at a very bad time for them as the Christmas time is huge for them.

Full frame cameras are produced in Japan, but as we all know they had to deal with an earthquake and a tsunami recently and started moving that production to Malaysia. It takes a long time to set up a new production facility (finding and training workers, getting materials and supplies, ...). 90% of Nikon's SLR sales were DX camera so with the loss of the facility in Thailand they lost their most important camera production. They just recently announced record sales in the camera devision and 65 million lenses being sold. Now it looks like they will face a huge loss for at least the next 6 months until they find alternatives to make cameras.

So if you thought about buying Nikon, do it now, in a month form now I bet we will see prices go up with lack of inventory and eventually just empty shelves.
[/quote]

I'm a dork. I didn't notice it was a link until after! LOL!!

After what?
scratch-1.gif

I erased the post - sorry!

I wrote something like "Why is it a rumor?

Like I said, I'm a dork!

At least the flooding isn't going to effect any future FF anouncements!

It could... if the DX line is the bread and butter line, they could decide to decrease production of the FX in favor of the DX, and convert existing facilities over to DX faster than building new....

Spare parts were in short supply earlier in the summer. I had to wait 2 months for a memory card lock to be replaced due to the shortage.

snowbear0924 said:
Spare parts were in short supply earlier in the summer. I had to wait 2 months for a memory card lock to be replaced due to the shortage.

Yeah because of the earthquake in Japan and now this!

Might have to switch to Hassy then... just think medium format and much heavier and made in europe oh and your wallet will be so much lighter you can carry the bigger camera easily...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back