Im a complete nube please help

looked at the d5000 the difference is like 300 bucks is it worth it?

I'm in the same boat as you, looking to buy in the new year.
Having looked at the d5000 it's nice, but the swivel screen doesn't really appeal, and the d90 comes with a slightly nicer kit lens to start with from what I've found, and the AF on the d5000 needs the AF-s/AF-I lenses too if I'm not mistaken...

I just recently got a 50D and I'm loving it. Definitely gonna take a while to learn, but it's worth it. One of my choices was the D90, but I chose Canon. Purely personal preference.

Also, Best Buy will price match with Amazon direct (that is, Amazon selling the camera and not a third party through Amazon), so if you find a sweet deal on Amazon.. Just sharing.

Good luck and enjoy the camera!

First off i will like to say thank you to all that have posted , a lot of forums have snotty users that dont like to help noobs because they dont like to answer the beginner questions , when it comes to the d90 im totally going crazy for it i couldnt get it last night but im trying to get it soon , i plan on doing more relaxing shots , outside side ( nature , animals , maybe a little city ) besides that my fiance is a make-up artist so ill have to photograph some of her work .....

Thx again for your current and future posts

<SNIP>, how do you feel about the sony hx-1 panoramic mode ,<SNIP>

A marketing gimic you will rarely use once you get serious about photography, just like the portrait, landscape, sports modes found on the consumer grade DSLR. These gimics are usually left off the pro level gear, my dad has a Canon 30D, he never uses them, they tell you how the picture will look. My Canon 5D and the 1D's (which I could only dream about) don't even waste the circuit space.

Well good choice on the D90. If I had to do it over again right now, I would get the D90 body from newegg.com for $800 (body only) and then get a 50mm f1.8 for about $120 and practice with that for a while.

Once you get your camera down and everything, I would then look into getting a zoom. I personally just don't see that great of difference between the kit lens that comes with the D90 (18-105mm) and the kit lenses that come with the D60/D40.

well my friends it is official i am a D90 owner . I got it from amazon with a great kit, 16gb , nikon bag....etc the whole nine , it will arrive next week and i will post my first shots , i will need you guys to help me out with the settings once you see the pics ofcourse.

AS i promised my first d90 pics after unpacking ill be going out sunday to do some scenery shots

DSC_0002.jpg

these are of my pup dunkin , my first model lol

DSC_0025.jpg

post hints and tips these images are not edited

I'm on safari so I can't see the exif data but what mode are you shooting in? Try to stick with P,A,S P is basically auto but you can change the af, the iso, the colors, and all that but the exposure is still automatic. With A mode that's aperture priority. You select the aperture which is how big the hole is that lets in the light. If you pick something like 5.6 the background will be more blurred than if you used f/22. Remember that f/22 will have a slower shutter speed which could equally to a blurry picture. Then the S mode is shutter priority it is semi auto to an extent. If you pick to fast of a shutter speed it will still let you use it even though the picture will probably be black due to under exposure. Try and pick up the book Understanding Exposure on amazon. Great book to have and keep going back to. And remember read the manual over and over. Gl and remember shoot a lot and enjoy doing it.
Tj

Probably a stupid question, but I'm curious. If I were to buy a D90, could I use my AF-S lenses with it that I have for my D40?

Probably a stupid question, but I'm curious. If I were to buy a D90, could I use my AF-S lenses with it that I have for my D40?

There is never a stupid question. The answer is yes. The d90 has a built in motor so any of those lenses will focus on it. Along with the 50mm and everything else.
Thx for the advice TJ K

NP. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I'll help you to the best of my ability.
tj

Most reactions

New Topics

Back