In need of some advise

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by surf30, Apr 14, 2008.

1. surf30

surf30 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone. Im new to the forum as well as photography and I'm looking for a little bit of advise. I have tried to do as much research as possible as to not sound like a broken record and ask what kind of camera should I buy. In my looking around on the web I have seen that the majority of people only talk about Canon and Nikon. Right off the bat I was thinking the Nikon D40 would be a good buy for me. It fit within my budget and seemed like a good entry level camera. After visiting my local camera store to pick that poor guys brain and talking extensively about each brand and thier pros and cons I have decided that the Pentax K100D sounded like the best bang for my buck. I was told that Pentax is the only brand that you can use old SLR lenses, as well as Pentax is the only brand out of Canon, Nikon,Pentax that has image stabilization built into the body.

To quickly get to my point, is Pentax a popular brand with experienced photographers? Is this IS feature that's in the body a good or bad thing? Does anyone have any knowledge about this model Pentax camera? Is there anything I need to know about this model that maybe the salesman left out because he wanted to make the sale? This model with an 18-55mm lens is on sale for $479 so I think this will be the camera I'm going to go with unless I get some feedback that might make me think otherwise.

Cheers.

2. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pentax, Sony, and Nikon all seem to have very attractive deals for beginners.

My advice is to look into the lens that you may want in the future.

Based on availibility/price of lens, make your decision.

I did not do this, but got lucky and stumbled into buying Canon because I could not "touch" the Nikon that looked most attractive.

3. ksm

ksm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not that I want to make things even more complicated for you but I think you should look into the Olympus E-510. In Body IS also. But I'm sure everybody on this forum will eventually tell you Canon or Nikon.

4. surf30

surf30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah Canon and Nikon defintely seem to be the most popular. I just really like the idea of the shake reduction feature being in the body and not having to buy expensive lenses that have the SR built into them. I have been doing some more reading and all the reviews seem to be pretty positive about the K100D. For under 500 bucks I think it will serve me well. When I was a kind my dad was really into photography and he always used Pentax so I'm sure he will be happy I'm using one too..

So unless someone know something negative about this camera that I should know about, I think I'm going to pick this bad boy up.

5. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Pentax and Olympus are kind of underdogs that offer a lot of extra features, which is cool.

6. surf30

surf30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok so I found something that's a little bit of a concern. One thing I really want in a D-SLR is continuous shooting. I just read a review saying that this camera buffer fills up much to fast and slows down after just 3 raw format photos or 5 best quality photos. Am I going to have to spend huge cash to get a camera that can continuously snap pictures without slowing down?

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon D80...
    6 RAW
    23 Fine Large jpg
    100 all other jpg variations

8. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since you asked about "in-body IS".

I've read that it is not too useful because IS need to be calibrated based on focus of lens. Or something like that.

I only know that IS is very nice for long lens. I use a flash for indoor/night so IS does not help me there - I do not think.

D80 mentioned by Socrates is the Nikon that I could not "touch" ... it's a VERY nice camera that is dirt cheap (for it's capability). I would not jump to Nikon, but can still admire it.

9. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really, all the brands have pros and cons. The Pentax is weather sealed. The Olympus has the best dust reduction system along with killer f/2.0 70-200 equivalent lenses (with a killer price). And other things that could make or break a deal.

The big thing to do is learn about whatever system interests you and look into how far you may be taking this. I went Canon because I inherited a 300D a long while back. But I didn't have any money invested into them. I eventually stuck with them because I liked their selection of lenses and they were the only camera company that made a full frame sensor at the time and that's the way I'm eventually going to go.

Just make sure you take this bit of advice and I guarantee that you'll turn out happy: Do your research and buy on what you want to buy and not on what some one tries to shove down your throat.

10. surf30

surf30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Hey thanks for the good advise. I called the store about that buffer issue and he assured me that if I took pictures in jpeg format that it wouldnt have any issue with the buffer. That said..I think I'm going to go with that camera just for its ability to use old slr lenses and I do think that SR feature is a good one but hey I never said I wasnt a sucker for marketing. All in all..A D-SLR for 449.99 you cant go wrong..Im expecting this camera to give me 450 worth and if I decide to take photography to the next lvl then I'll think more about getting a better camera..Besides..My dad used a Pentax when I was a kid, so he'll be happy..

11. saranwrap82

saranwrap82 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just recently bought my first DSLR. I went with the Sony Alpha 200. I am totally in love with it, seems easy for me to learn to use, since I am new to photography! My friend who has been doing it for awhile has stated that she has camera envy. So maybe this is a thought for you! It has a good super steady shot built into the body! The color comes out great without changing anything, my friend is jealous of the color meter in it! Just thought maybe I would pass this info on as I am in love with it, maybe a thought for you and something for you to fall in love with as well. I am sure no matter what you go with you will be in love!

12. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sony DSLR's have a color meter? :|