IN the footsteps of others

thedingo0099

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Around 1838 Wiiliam Henry Fox Talbot stepped outside his house and took a picture of his neighbors barn door while his neighbors stood proudly before it. They posed, of course, as was the tradition to pose for a portrait, as informal as it might seem.
There doesn't seem anything particularly amazing about the action except it was probably the first time anyone had recorded common places with people doing what they normally do.
This was the beginning of outdoor, candid photography.
Talbot commented that he had no idea where this might lead. It would be up to those who followed to determine the extent to which photography would be used and valued.

I'm inclined to think this would have been the beginning of what we sometimes call 'street photography '

What does your imagination conjure?

Shoot pictures like this one you posted here. A joy for the eyes in sense of textures, composition and colour. Street photography is badly overrated, it's value inflated by propaganda.

What does your imagination conjure?
These days I don't take the time to simply go out and take photographs, but when I did, I would look for static elements presented in odd juxtaposition.

Shoot pictures like this one you posted here. A joy for the eyes in sense of textures, composition and colour. Street photography is badly overrated, it's value inflated by propaganda.

I agree that this photo is awesome.

On your second thought though...I wonder if its just because the vast majority of street photography isn't compelling. I really enjoy the stuff that is well done. There's a couple of street experts who kick around here sometimes whose posts that I miss.

I'm certainly not not one to overrate photographs taken in the street. Each has a purpose, each shows us how it is at a particular point in time. They are measures of our social history.

I agree that this photo is awesome.

On your second thought though...I wonder if its just because the vast majority of street photography isn't compelling. I really enjoy the stuff that is well done. There's a couple of street experts who kick around here sometimes whose posts that I miss.

I wasn't making any judgement, Jon, just observations. There are two sides to this. If the photographer is compelled to notice and shoot, that is enough. The photo can then be carried forward in time as a record of what was seen. There are no photographic skills required for this to happen. A child with a box brownie could do it.

The compulsion to look at the photo and reflect belongs to the observer. All too often the observer will look for those things that interest him/her such as composition, technical perfection, light, color, points of personal interest and understanding. They might also internally judge the image against their own or those of others.

Everyone in the street with a camera becomes a street photographer. Being 'good' or 'bad' isn't the aim of the game; at least not initially. It's only when we become obsessed with technique that we forgo much of the pleasure of taking photographs in any place. I don't deny that I have improved my techniques somewhat over the years but what is most important is the photograph of what I saw.

image.jpeg
I don't always remember what I shot on any given day. It's always a pleasure to go back and recall the moment.

The streets are filled with detail of life in that place. It's not dramatic, it's common place. That's the beauty of it.
It's like a joke. We laugh when we see the familiarity of the situation.

image.jpeg

The picture shared is really nice. Effects seem so perfect.

Often we search for people. It seems fitting that people are included to give interest. After all, we can relate better to people than inanimate object.

Strangely, the earlier photographers had some difficulty with people. They didn't stay still long enough to remain part of the scene. So, the emphasis was on the street itself.

Eugene Atget was a master of the street scene. His images of Paris streets where very much out of the norm because he was less interested in the predominant buildings and famous landmarks as he was for the suburban streets and alleys.

My wife, Christine tells me my photographs could be taken anywhere because they don't show common, well known places. I say, in my defense, that the images could only be taken in one place and they show more of the way of life than any tower or church.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The early photographers took their cameras to foreign places. Some emulated the artists of the past. Some chose to record the culture.
The difference between a tourist and a street photographer is that the street photographer will ponder, watch the world approach them and poise just long enough for the camera to capture. The street photographer moves slowly.

By greatest joy is to watch those at play or work. It seems such a natural activity.

image.jpeg

And it's not just the game that is worthy of notice.

image.jpeg

Most reactions

Back