In the market for a telephoto. Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by anubis404, Jan 20, 2009.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am looking for something with fairly high optical quality, and I've had my eyes on a variety of 70-200s. My budget is $650, $700 if needed, and if its damn good (a superzoom or VR) $750. I'd prefer an FX lens so I would get a 105-300 instead of a 70-200. I'm going to be using this for bird/wildlife photography. It would also be nice if it fit in my Tamrac Adventure 7. I probably wont have scraped together the dough for this lens until around April-ish, so that's something to consider. So far I've been considering the Sigma 70-200, the Tamron 70-200, the Nikkor 80-200, and if by some miracle it fits in my bag, I find it at the right price, and its optical quality is on par or nearly on par with the 70-200s, the Sigma 150-500 or 120-400. Note that the Tokina 50-135 is not quite long enough for me.

Any thoughts on these lenses or other reccomendations?

2. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would stay away from the Tamron. The Sigma isn't bad, but I would recommend the Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-D. These can be had for some pretty good deals, and are optically fantastic. I had one for a couple of years, and it yielded some great bird shots.

If you are going to try birding with this, you will also want a 1.4 or 1.7 teleconverter, but realize that you are going to lose that f/2.8 when you do that. With a 1.4, you will have a 280 f/4, which can get you some decent shots, but you are going to have to learn to get very close to birds to get any kind of good quality shots.

Case-in-point....these were taken with a 500mm f/4, and they were still cropped. This will give you an idea of how patient you will need to be with anything less than 400mm to capture good bird shots.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...er-curious-visitor-pic-heavy-c-c-welcome.html

3. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd suggest the lightest one possible, for you.........

~Michael~

4. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is it necessary you follow me around and spam my threads? Grow up.

For those who aren't spamming this thread, is the Nikkor 80-200 Non AF-s non VR any good?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  5. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

"I'd prefer an FX lens so I would get a 105-300 instead of a 70-200"

I believe if you are talking about field of view (FoV). Any 70-200mm lens will give you the same FoV whether it is a FX lens or not.

Members from this forum often mentioned that 200mm is not long enough for bird photography. Sorry, I do not know much about Nikon Lens. But Sigma and Tamron do have a F/2.8 in 70-200mm range. But after reading the review, I prefer Sigma over Tamron.

6. smyth

smyth TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 80-200 nikkor is a very good lens. In fact I,ve heard that there are quite a few people who like their 80-200 better than the 70-200 vr.

7. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I mean that seriously. I would second (or third?) the 80-200 2.8. Big lens and not that heavy, but definitly lighter than the 70-200VR, which is also a nice lens. In the budget you have, I think you could definitly get away with the 80-200

~Michael~

8. TUX424

TUX424 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 80-200 is a nice lens but not VR

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The 80-200 is an excellent lens, optically almost the equal of the 70-200 2.8VR. The only major difference, aside from the obvious slight difference in FL and and lack of VR is that because it's not an AF-S lens, it's slightly slower in focusing. Agree with others, this, on it's own is NOT long enough for serious birding. You'll need at least a 1.7TC which will bump you up to an f4.5 lens; still reasonably fast at almost 400mm.

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to go a $$ saver route look for a 70-210mm f2.8 LD tamron on the used market. They can be had for around $350, sometimes less.

It's a little slow at focusing due to the weight of the glass and fact it's not AFS, but it's iq is very good.

11. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both the AF-S & AF-D are great lenses. Optically, both are nearly identical. The main difference is the AF-S has the silent-wave motor, so focusing is a little faster, but not by a whole lot. The AF-D will likely be more in your price range. It is possible to find an AF-S in your budget, but it may be a bit on the dinged-up end of the used scale.

12. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Weight is not an issue. Size is.

I can't seem to find the 80-200 F2.8 AF-D in my price range. All have been $800+, although I spotted one for less on ebay. The old 80-200 has serious focus problems from what I hear. The 70-200 Sigma looks great, but it doesn't reach quite far enough. I've been eyeing the Tokina 100-300 F4. Does the IQ on the Tokina compare with the 70-200 array of lenses? I will be using this for general wildlife shots, not only birds.