Inadvertently modify picture DateTimeOriginal?

DFORMS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm trying to determine for certain the date of an event. Is it possible to modify the DateTimeOriginal of the EXIF data inadvertently? For example, if the date of my computer was off would it have modified the date when transferring the image on it from my camera? How reliable is the DateTimeOriginal date? Thank you.

The EXIF date/time date is made by the date/time your camera is set to. If the camera's date/time is accurate, the EXIF will also be.

It is possible to change the EXIF data, including the date/time, but not inadvertently. That only happens on purpose.

Yep as Buck says the date and time of a shot being taken is set by the camera at the time of taking. Note if you're viewing the file don't get mixed up between the oft shown "last edited/accessed" date and the original date - they are listed separately.

You'd have to deliberately change the date of capture; as in its not typically a setting function that you'd use in normal editing so you'd have to go to the specific menu option to do it. It's thus unlikely to be accidental unless you edit in Photoshop and have an action that you use that does change the date (at which point you could do it accidentally if applying actions and you choose to apply the wrong one without realising).

Recognize that the EXIF information recorded by the camera is only as accurate as the date and time that was set in the camera. On my camera, for example, it has the right date, but I don't adjust the time for daylight savings time, so the times are off by an hour during the summer. I don't know how accurately it keeps time, so it may be off even a couple of days in the 2 years since I got the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back