Infrared help....

Mr.ReDEyE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys i just recently shot my first roll of infrared film....i shot Kodak HIE with a red filter and i'm using a Nikon N75 SLR camera that doesn't allow you to set the ISO....im guessing that Kodak HIE is DX coded and my camera figured out the appropriate ISO setting for correct exposure....im really hoping i got a couple decent negatives to work with since i didnt bracket at all.....(which i should have)..how do i set the appropriate ISO?? or did my camera handle it by itself?? if anyone is familiar with the Nikon N75 SLR your feedback would be appreciated....thanks for your time......peace

Kodak HIE is not DX coded. Your camera has a default ISO it uses when a non-DX coded film is loaded. Hopefully it's ISO 100, which shouldn't be too far off for HIE.

I'm not familiar with the N75, but for some reason Nikon has been leaving ISO control off of their entry level SLRs. Probably some sales goon's bright idea to make you want to switch up to the next level. Total bullsh*t in my opinion.

Holy crap!! An SLR camera with no ISO control...? :x Dude, when you DO decide to move up, switch to Pentax. :wink: I'm kidding...but that's so fundamentally part of your control over various films that it's nothing short of an outrage to me. Here you are wanting to try IR film.... I have news for you. You've already outgrown this camera. Just hold that thought. :wink:

Part of the wonder and beauty of HIE is that you can play with the ISO and achieve all kinds of different effects, it has such a wide range. I am hoping with you that you snagged a few good images.....if you do, post them here. :D

If you don't, try again, and yes bracket everything to regain some measure of control. Make an exposure log to help you figure out what works best with this film in this particular camera. Do NOT let the limits of your equipment in this instance sour you on this awesome film!!!

The cameras can use non-DX coded film; it just defaults to a specified ISO (look in your instruction or on the website to determine what it is).

You can use the camera on full manual, just remember that the meter is measuring for ISO 100 (or whatever) and adjust accordingly. Probably a good exercise for folks wanting to break away from auto-mode exposure.

Also, you may be able to adjust an exposure compensation setting to trick the meter.

In the mean time, email Nikon and tell them that amateur photogs are tired of being treated like dummies, and it's time for Nikon to get back to cameras designed by photographers for photographers.

thanks for all the awesome advice guys.....but i just found out my camera has an infrared sensor in it that counts the sprocket holes or whatever.....so im pretty much screwed with using infrared film.....i'll be happy to get at least one good neg to work with.....but probably not......im gonna go hang myself with my camera strap now......

Before you kick the chair away, try using Ilford SFX film. It's rated 200. It's not a true infrared film BUT you can get very good infrared results using the #25 red filter. Since you're interested in IR give it a shot!

Then get yourself a better camera. :wink:

Mr.ReDEyE said:
thanks for all the awesome advice guys.....but i just found out my camera has an infrared sensor in it that counts the sprocket holes or whatever.....so im pretty much screwed with using infrared film.....i'll be happy to get at least one good neg to work with.....but probably not......im gonna go hang myself with my camera strap now......

the film may only be fogged on the bottom where the infrared sensor is , so if you take a step back so you can crop the bottom off, then it should work. At least that was the advice I got on this or some other forum, dont remember where I asked. :0).

Id like to do some nature shots with infrared, but gotta save the money up for the film, developing tank/chemicals and filter first. :0).

GerryDavid said:
the film may only be fogged on the bottom where the infrared sensor is , so if you take a step back so you can crop the bottom off, then it should work. At least that was the advice I got on this or some other forum, dont remember where I asked. :0).

If you search the net you can find examples of the fogging. As stated above, it's actually very minimal. Possibly a mm of the neg frame is fogged along with the sprocket holes, which of course is outside the image.

yeah the n75 does....thanks for all your help guys.....hopefully i got some decent prints to post up here....im picking them up today so i'll see.....i'll try out some of that Ilford SFX.....thanks terri!.....this forum's awesome.......peace to all.....

Mr.ReDEyE said:
yeah the n75 does....thanks for all your help guys.....hopefully i got some decent prints to post up here....im picking them up today so i'll see.....i'll try out some of that Ilford SFX.....thanks terri!.....this forum's awesome.......peace to all.....

You sent it out to be developed? How much did it come to? I hear sending out b&w film is very expensive, like $20 a roll, and isnt infrared in the b&w catagory?

yeah i just picked them up today.....it came to about 10 dollars.....and im suprised there was only a couple damaged negs from a roll of 36.....since my camera has an infrared sensor and all......i'll post up some of them soon..i also bought a roll of Ilfrord SFX that im gonna try out, thanks for the tip terri you're awesome...peace

GerryDavid said:
I hear sending out b&w film is very expensive, like $20 a roll, and isnt infrared in the b&w catagory?

BW IR film is developed with standard BW dev chems.

Out here in Kansas getting a roll of traditional process BW developed and a full set of prints costs about $10 at the local pro labs. I dev my own for under $1 a roll (not counting time, just chem cost). While printing requires a darkroom, BW roll film developing only needs a darkbag or lightproof closet to load the film into the dev tank. Most of the process can be done where ever. It's really very easy, try it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back