Infrared modified Nikon Coolpix 990 for sale

AluminumStudios

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aluminumstudios.com
For anyone interested in digital infrared photography, I have an infrared modified Nikon Coolpix 990 for sale on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7578713617

This camera has given me a lot of beautiful photos and is a lot of fun to experiment with. It's had it's IR blocking hotmirror removed and an 87c infrared filter installed so there is no need for an external filter - it's good to go.

I have some sample photos taken with it included with the auction along with all of it's details.

Thanks,

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive just read up about the Infrared thing about it passing light through certain objects... thats pretty scary?... and is it true?.. also, does this mean that it can be done with just a normal Infrared filter? .. that is real freaky

regards, Shaun

ServerKill said:
Ive just read up about the Infrared thing about it passing light through certain objects... thats pretty scary?... and is it true?.. also, does this mean that it can be done with just a normal Infrared filter? .. that is real freaky

regards, Shaun

We are surrounded by far more radiation than we can see (when you walk outside there are tiny amounts of xrays, decent amounts of ultra-violet, lots of visible light, tons of infrared - all coming from the sun (or indoors from things like lightbulbs.) Different materials let different amounts of different wavelengths pass through. For example sheer, white curtains let a lot of visible wavelengths pass through. Green leaves let a lot of green wavelengths pass through.

Our eyes can't see infrared so we aren't used to what materials let it pass through and what doesn't - hence when we use a camera to see it for us, what we see is often strange and unexpected to us. Materials that are "solid" in our eyes because they reflect a lot of visible light can appear as sheer because infrared in it's longer wavelengths passes through them. Sometimes materials that are translucent like the human body don't reflect infrared on the surface as much as the light passes a little bit into the skin before being reflected leading to a smooth glow and veins becomming more visible. I think the ultimate example can be seen on this blog post I made: http://www.livejournal.com/users/aluminumstudios/232081.html

Digital camera's image sensors are naturally sensitive to infrared, however this sensitivity is squashed by an IR blocking filter put into digital cameras. If you buy an IR filter that blocks visible light but passes IR you can often take IR pictures with a digital camera with ultra-long exposures. I modify cameras by removing the IR blocking filter so they can take IR photos at "normal" shutter times instead of the 2-15 seconds that can be required in an unmodified camera.

I hope this helps explain it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back