Intermediate User - Upgrading gear for photo + video

blackwindexe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I currently have a Canon T2i with 50mm 1.8, Tokina 11-16 2.8, and 55-200 that I've had for over 5 years now.

I use it primarily for lifestyle, travel, and fashion photography as well as video. I occasionally do some client work (businesses, non-profit causes, weddings, etc).

I am interested in upgrading which is long overdue. I always held back because I wanted to jump to the 5D mkIII.

I am not a brand loyalist, so I'm willing to change if necessary.

I want something that can handle low light well with decent autofocus. Lower size and weight is preferable which is why I'm interested in Sony, but it's not a deal breaker. I will have no problem lugging around a larger full-frame.

Also, I would prefer something that excels in 1080p video. 4k capability doesn't interest me, but I will downgrade the footage if it does have it.

I'm debating on either the 5d mkIII, sony a7r or rII, or some combination of a an improvement over my t2i + a6300.

What's your budget? And if you switch brands, what's your budget for lenses? Which lenses would you want?

Anywhere from $1500 - $2500 is fine.

I would need to start with a 35mm (or 50mm) prime lens or a 24-105mm. I would eventually need a wide angle lens after one of those, but I would get it a lot sooner if I only had a prime lens. Anywhere from $500 - $1000 to start with lenses.

Okay, my experience is with Sony, so I can only comment on that. There are plenty of Canon users here, though, I'm sure one of them can help with the rest.

The a7RII is great, but it's way over budget.

Looking at your needs and your budget, the a6300 with the Sony 18-105 and 35 1.8 looks like your best bet. You'll get amazing video quality. The lens isn't the smallest, but it's a power zoom so it's good for video and gets great reviews for quality. I have the 35 1.8 for my a6000, and it's a wonderful lens.

The t2i has a pretty old sensor, so I definitely think you'll see a massive improvement even without moving to full frame. If you're able to rent, however, that's always best. Some camera systems just work better for some people, and all the specs in the world can't make up for a bad fit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back