International travel gear

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had posted in another thread about looking for a new lens and that I had planed on taking it on a trip to Italy next year. It was suggest to be very careful what to bring and cary since risk of theft was high.

I am not sure my exact question, but I think there are probably 2 main parts. One is the issue of equipment safety and the second is which equipment to take. I will give some history and context below to get better answers to that question.

We live in the pacific northwest of the US (I know we have members from all over). I know that there are places in the US that are way less safe than many international tourist destinations. I spent 20 years working in a 911 service in one of those "dangerous" places were it was not uncommon to have several shootings a week. The second part of this is we have been to Canada, Roatan (Honduras) several times, Costa Rica, and Bonaire. With the exception of Canada, all have been for SCUBA diving but we have also done some exploring in those areas. We take all of own gear including my full sized underwater camera.

In the US when we travel I have my camera backpack that has both of my Z7ii bodies and several lenses. This is mainly used for storage and transport and I use a belt (shown in picture taken at cliff dwellings in Arizona) with dual lens/accessory pouches when actually shooting. The bodies are held on using a pin and lever system from Pro Media Gear. I have spent all day shooting events like weddings for work and also hiked several miles for personal use and I am very happy with this set up.

We, well really my wife and sisters, are planning a 2 week trip next year that includes Italy, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. My understanding is with the exception of spending a day in Venice, most of our time will be spent in more rural areas. Since I will be taking pictures of everything from landscape to "family" photos I am planning on taking both of my Z7ii bodies, Nikon 14-24 (I do not own yet), my 24-70 2.8, my 70-200 2.8 and a macro lens. I currently own a 60mm but I am looking at a 105mm.

Thoughts, comments or questions I am not asking?

IMG_20220329_184806.jpg

Nice trip, I’d say those lenses would easily cover any shooting situations, I personally own the “holy trinity “ and despite wanting sth for portrait type shooting specifically (85/105) I think mostly I feel I’m covered and ready to shoot almost anything (except wildlife I guess).
Enjoy the trip!

The Nikon 105mm was my absolute favorite Nikon lens and the only thing I regret leaving behind with my move to Fuji. That being said, not needed for travel unless you’re specifically wanting to shoot macro while you’re there.

Personally haven’t been to any of the countries you’ve listed so can’t really comment on that other than to say make sure you have a good plan for carrying on all your gear and be aware of the European weight restrictions for carry on bags for your flights from one country to the next.

Hopefully some of our international members can comment more specifically on gear safety in those areas. Sounds like a fantastic trip - I hope you’ll share your photos when you get back.

Wow, you like to travel light.....:chuncky:
I try to pick and choose what I think I will need. When traveling by car, no reason not to bring it all. When shooting with a specific purpose, I pack for that.

The Nikon 105mm was my absolute favorite Nikon lens and the only thing I regret leaving behind with my move to Fuji. That being said, not needed for travel unless you’re specifically wanting to shoot macro while you’re there.

Personally haven’t been to any of the countries you’ve listed so can’t really comment on that other than to say make sure you have a good plan for carrying on all your gear and be aware of the European weight restrictions for carry on bags for your flights from one country to the next.

Hopefully some of our international members can comment more specifically on gear safety in those areas. Sounds like a fantastic trip - I hope you’ll share your photos when you get back.

My macro is my least used lens, with the exception of underwater. However when you need it, you really need it. On our week long trip to Main I shot a few thousand images, but I brought the macro for one specific area we were going with carnivorous plants. I am glad I did.

I also rarely used the 70-200 on this trip since a lot more of my focus was family and "big picture" scenes.

For our trip we will be driving between the counties and staying in 1 or possibly 2 "central" locations.

I will try and share the images. Life keeps getting busier and only so much time for being online. I really do appreciate people taking the time to respond.

On another note, I’d say even if you don’t “need” the 105mm probably still buy it, that’s my plan haha

I spent over 30 yrs driving 49 states and Canada and it taught me a lot about how to avoid trouble in all the worst places in the country. Pay attention to what's around you and where you are! Aviod more cramped places especially in the dark, Avoid people that bother you. trust your instink's! Spent three years in Germany prior to driving for a living and didn't even think of these thing's but don't recall any hostilities over there. I have no idea what it's like in Italy but just pay attention to your surrounding's and people around you. Your instincts will tell you when and if you can lighten up on it. Being safe where ever you may go is mostly a result of paying attention to what's going on around you. Go enjoy Italy ands simply pay attention to what's going on around you. My guess is you'll probably find Italy actually no worse than the us and the bad spots no worse than bad spots here.

I spent over 30 yrs driving 49 states and Canada and it taught me a lot about how to avoid trouble in all the worst places in the country. Pay attention to what's around you and where you are! Aviod more cramped places especially in the dark, Avoid people that bother you. trust your instink's! Spent three years in Germany prior to driving for a living and didn't even think of these thing's but don't recall any hostilities over there. I have no idea what it's like in Italy but just pay attention to your surrounding's and people around you. Your instincts will tell you when and if you can lighten up on it. Being safe where ever you may go is mostly a result of paying attention to what's going on around you. Go enjoy Italy ands simply pay attention to what's going on around you. My guess is you'll probably find Italy actually no worse than the us and the bad spots no worse than bad spots here.

In the US I have options for dealing with threats that I do not in foreign counties.

I agree, having situational awareness is a big key to being safe.

I am not super worried, just trying to be more informed about the places we are going. Again most of our time will be in rural areas.

When traveling, I take one lens, the Tamron 18-400mm, because it covers a very good range, is lightweight, and I don't have to carry multiple bodies or switch out lenses. I don't like being hampered down. :) They make that lens for Nikon, as well. Sounds like you've gone diving in the places my oldest son goes.

When traveling, I take one lens, the Tamron 18-400mm, because it covers a very good range, is lightweight, and I don't have to carry multiple bodies or switch out lenses. I don't like being hampered down. :) They make that lens for Nikon, as well. Sounds like you've gone diving in the places my oldest son goes.

I had considered something like that and I use to have some wide coverage kit lenses. I prefer the quality of my better glass and I dont need to buy a "special" lens just for this trip.

If you plan to take your belt setup, you might as well hand your camera to the first person you meet and forget about it. Where you are going is not dangerous, per se, but there are a lot of pick pockets who will gladly relieve you of any unsecured property. I use a non descript canvas shoulder bag with all my gear out of sight in the bag.

If you plan to take your belt setup, you might as well hand your camera to the first person you meet and forget about it. Where you are going is not dangerous, per se, but there are a lot of pick pockets who will gladly relieve you of any unsecured property. I use a non descript canvas shoulder bag with all my gear out of sight in the bag.
I’d agree with this for the most part, I try not to advertise what I’m carrying (despite it being a huge manfrotto backpack with a tripod), pick pockets can be rife but it takes something else to take off a secure chest wait and double shoulder backpack. Too much effort and not quick enough. Also try to learn at least some basics of the languages as this often tends to deter ppl praying on foreigners. Simple things like hello, goodbye, have a nice day, stop!, help! Etc.. but don’t let any concerns as such ruin your trip, insure your gear and enjoy it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back