International travel gear

In theory, all of the items are secure, but expert thieves are experts. This is also true in the US and I this is how I operate.

The pouches are securely attached and have a large velcro flap that makes a lot of noise. The belt is double locked. The bodies are "locked" into the holes and I could add tether.

I do have a sling bag (not camera) that I used before shooting with dual bodies. I may consider that when in Venice, since it will easy manage 1 body and a couple of lenses.

I am planning on taking both of my Z7ii bodies, Nikon 14-24 (I do not own yet), my 24-70 2.8, my 70-200 2.8 and a macro lens. I currently own a 60mm but I am looking at a 105mm.
This seems like a lot of gear to travel with. Are there specific things you think you will need all of these big lenses for? Do you really need 2 camera bodies? Obviously only you can answer these questions.

From my own experiences traveling throughout the US and Europe, I never use most of it. I've brought a telephoto lens on 2 trips and never took it out of the bag. I have brought fast primes, only to end up complaining they weren't the right focal length for the shot I wanted. I have gone with the intent to take family photos, only to realize I didn't need a fast portrait lens because I actually wanted the background to be somewhat in focus. Ultimately, I've always been happy with a normal zoom - 24-70 f/2.8 on my Z6II, and 17-55 f/2.8 on crop sensor DSLR bodies before that. Occasionally I have wanted an ultra-wide lens, but I wonder if it would have come out of my bag if I had brought it.

I also try to keep security in mind when I travel. I have an Airtag discretely connected to my camera strap, and I love Lowepro's Flipside series of camera bags where the contents of the bag cannot be accessed while wearing it. I have an ultra-compact tripod that can fit inside the camera bag, and that's really about it.

Good luck, and safe travels! Looking forward to photos when you return.

This seems like a lot of gear to travel with. Are there specific things you think you will need all of these big lenses for? Do you really need 2 camera bodies? Obviously only you can answer these questions.

From my own experiences traveling throughout the US and Europe, I never use most of it. I've brought a telephoto lens on 2 trips and never took it out of the bag. I have brought fast primes, only to end up complaining they weren't the right focal length for the shot I wanted. I have gone with the intent to take family photos, only to realize I didn't need a fast portrait lens because I actually wanted the background to be somewhat in focus. Ultimately, I've always been happy with a normal zoom - 24-70 f/2.8 on my Z6II, and 17-55 f/2.8 on crop sensor DSLR bodies before that. Occasionally I have wanted an ultra-wide lens, but I wonder if it would have come out of my bag if I had brought it.

I also try to keep security in mind when I travel. I have an Airtag discretely connected to my camera strap, and I love Lowepro's Flipside series of camera bags where the contents of the bag cannot be accessed while wearing it. I have an ultra-compact tripod that can fit inside the camera bag, and that's really about it.

This is gear I normally travel with. I enjoy my photography and will not be happy shooting with less. When you look at my full gear list in my sig line, the majority of it fits in a single backpack. The "extra" or specialty stuff like my Fisheye fit in a second bag.

Dual bodies allow me to switch lenses less and reduce the risk of drop or dirt/dust. For this particular trip, based on past experience, for 90% of the time or more I would have an ultra wide on and my 24-70mm. In my normal day to day life I have a 70-200 attached. On our recent family trip to Maine, I used my ultra wide at least 40% of the time.

I’d agree with this for the most part, I try not to advertise what I’m carrying (despite it being a huge manfrotto backpack with a tripod), pick pockets can be rife but it takes something else to take off a secure chest wait and double shoulder backpack. Too much effort and not quick enough. Also try to learn at least some basics of the languages as this often tends to deter ppl praying on foreigners. Simple things like hello, goodbye, have a nice day, stop!, help! Etc.. but don’t let any concerns as such ruin your trip, insure your gear and enjoy it!
Looked at your flicker site. Boy nice photo's! love'em!

Reactions: D7K

I find myself in your boat. I think folks carry to much a good part of the time. If I was to go on a trip to Europe, I'd definately take my DSLR and extra lense's but the extra lenses would stay in the motel room and maybe even the DSLR. I have a Point and shoot I cary in a belt pouch that is working very well for me. has a 25-250 lense and walking around can't figure out a lot of use for more lense. If I was to carry my DSLR the only lense I'd have with me is my Tamron 18-200. I need more I can go back later with another lense. If I were richer now I'd get that nikon 18-300 maybe and use it as a do all lense. Have a 55-300 Nikon but lacks bottom end for use as a carry around lense for me. I think people simply burden themselves carrying around more equipment than they actually need, you can always go back with a different lense. pretty much got that from Clyde Butcher. Watched a video on him and he use's large format cameras for photo's that count. To go looking for what he want's he carry's a 35mm and if he likes what he get, goes back later with his large format gear, great idea to me!

I had posted in another thread about looking for a new lens and that I had planed on taking it on a trip to Italy next year. It was suggest to be very careful what to bring and cary since risk of theft was high.

I am not sure my exact question, but I think there are probably 2 main parts. One is the issue of equipment safety and the second is which equipment to take. I will give some history and context below to get better answers to that question.

We live in the pacific northwest of the US (I know we have members from all over). I know that there are places in the US that are way less safe than many international tourist destinations. I spent 20 years working in a 911 service in one of those "dangerous" places were it was not uncommon to have several shootings a week. The second part of this is we have been to Canada, Roatan (Honduras) several times, Costa Rica, and Bonaire. With the exception of Canada, all have been for SCUBA diving but we have also done some exploring in those areas. We take all of own gear including my full sized underwater camera.

In the US when we travel I have my camera backpack that has both of my Z7ii bodies and several lenses. This is mainly used for storage and transport and I use a belt (shown in picture taken at cliff dwellings in Arizona) with dual lens/accessory pouches when actually shooting. The bodies are held on using a pin and lever system from Pro Media Gear. I have spent all day shooting events like weddings for work and also hiked several miles for personal use and I am very happy with this set up.

We, well really my wife and sisters, are planning a 2 week trip next year that includes Italy, Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. My understanding is with the exception of spending a day in Venice, most of our time will be spent in more rural areas. Since I will be taking pictures of everything from landscape to "family" photos I am planning on taking both of my Z7ii bodies, Nikon 14-24 (I do not own yet), my 24-70 2.8, my 70-200 2.8 and a macro lens. I currently own a 60mm but I am looking at a 105mm.

Thoughts, comments or questions I am not asking?

View attachment 268034
I just noticed this picture. Little slow. Your a walking advertisement to be robbed. In your hands is probably a couple thousand dollars worth of gear. hanging on your belt is another couple thousand dollard worth of equipment. From that I'd guess those pouch's on the belt are worth a bunch more. Pretty sure every shot you took on that walk was not one you'd die for so don't believe you really need to advertise your carrying a ton of valuable gear with you. Get rid of the belt and carry one dslr with a decent walk around lense, I like my 18-200. You get something to die for, grab the high dollar stuff to shoot it with and go back again. I think if it's not worth going back for again, it's probably not worth risking getting robbed for. Complement's of watching a video on Clyde Butcher!

With respect, somebody needs to protect you from yourself, gear-wise. The "Darth Vader-on-Vacation" load I see and you describe is dead-wrong for tourist Europe--heavy, clumsy, "rob-me" obvious. One body, a couple SMALL light-weight lenses in a nondescript bag. Forget the backpack. Think carry-on limits. Note to self: You're not going to Maine...

An Airtag on the camera strap sounds great. But wouldn't it be quickly removed by a thief?

I’m sure Europe is no more dangerous than the US. Sure, I live here, so that’s easy for me to say but I wander about with my camera and lenses all the time. In busy cities or tourist hotspots, the most common crime is pickpocketing. That is rife. I haven’t heard of anyone having a large camera stolen. That kind of thing would hit the news here. But a wallet being taken from your back pocket - common. So I really wouldn’t worry about your gear.

What I would say though, is that amount of gear immediately screams ‘tourist’ and will make you more prone to pickpockets. Venice especially is very touristy. I wouldn’t hesitate to visit there with camera round my neck, backpack with tripod attached, but I would make sure my purse (wallet), phone and keys are not in a coat/trouser pocket, as they’re the big targets. The big targets here are what theives can grab undetected. They simply move on from one victim to the next. Don’t forget, tourist places are packed with people. Serious crimes or larger thefts just don’t happen, there’s too many people about. A dark alley in the rough end of town at 1am, is an entirely different matter - one in which I would not have my expensive camera gear on me!

I also wouldn’t be happy leaving it in a hotel. That isn’t to say hotel staff might steal it, although you never know, but that somebody sees you enter, (and more importantly, the thousands of dollars worth of kit you’re carrying!), figures out which room you’re in, and breaks in. That does happen, and not just here. Pretty much worldwide, I believe. So I would suggest only taking what you’re willing to carry around all the time with you.

An Airtag on the camera strap sounds great. But wouldn't it be quickly removed by a thief?
In my opinion, Airtags have limited usefulness when it comes to theft, but there is still some value. Any time I include an AirTag with something, I try to do it as discretely as possible so it's not obvious. See the photo below for what it looks like on my camera strap. AirTags used to be a lot more useful until people started using them to track others, so Apple added a safety feature where it will alert any iPhone user if their phone detects an unknown AirTag traveling with them. Unfortunately that also means that a thief will be alerted that the item they stole is being tracked and they can act on that. However there is no guarantee the thief will have an iPhone or pay attention to alerts, it will still give you an idea of where it was last seen, and is particularly helpful when something has just been lost, misplaced, or left behind.

20230615-DSC_8401a by adamhiram, on Flickr

I had a 24-70 lens removed from a D700 in a crowded station in Russia years ago, while I was wearing it in a cross-body manner at my hip. Later that week another nimble Ruskie relieved me of the D700 body with a Zeiss 50 attached, this time in a wide open space with a bit of violence added.

I’m travelling now with a Z8, 24-120 in a non-descript sling bag. In the trunk of my rental is another similar bag with a spare body Z7, and 14-30 plus a Voigtlander 50. That’s it. Light as I can possibly travel. And discreet as possible.

i’ve been to all those places on your itinerary over the years, and would caution you about Italy, the others are less likely to be a high risk; but still a risk. Just don’t flaunt your kit or you’ll be like me: trying to buy new kit in places where you can’t!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back