Inviting criticism: Some photography, from conventional to vaguely morbid.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TheMightyGoat, Apr 5, 2009.

1. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

I've been dabbling in photography for a while and am only recently getting into actually learning about it. I'm just going to throw up a few pictures I've taken and see what people say.

As I said, some of them are vaguely morbid, and in fact that's where my real interest is in photography. I like to capture things most people wouldn't look at. But I'll go easy with that today.

The older images here were taken with a Nikon 4100 and the more recent ones were taken with my FZ28.

Here are two moths captured mid-coitus.
    [​IMG]

This is a mosquito that has been caught with a tissue.
    [​IMG]

Macro of my revolver, selectively desaturated.
    [​IMG]

Shell of a bug, cropped.
    [​IMG]

Eye.
    [​IMG]

This picture I'm not really happy with. It was an effort to capture a shell exiting from my shotgun. And, it did - at 1/2000th of a second exposure - but in terms of the overall composition and especially the image's noise level I'm not happy with it. You see what I was going for though.
    [​IMG]

More conventional - shot of a waterfall. This has been edited and cropped in Camera Raw.
    [​IMG]

I'm not looking for any particular variety of criticism, I suppose. Just reactions from the photographically inclined.

2. foned

foned TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    first i'll say post 1-4 images max, or else people tend to shy away, too much work to look at whats up with all the photos.

and since im feelling particularly lazy, i'll just say i like the revolver shot the best.

3. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

I don't need people to analyze each picture. As I said, just looking for reactions.

4. dcclark

dcclark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With this many photos, it's hard to give reactions -- without looking, writing, looking again, and generally taking more time than most people want to take on forums. :)

Also, I don't believe that "general impressions" are going to be very useful for you on such a varied set of photos as these. The most that I can say is -- the bugs made me uncomfortable, the guns were interesting, and the waterfall looked pretty standard. Do you have any particular questions?

5. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My reaction is that I'm not gonna give a dude with a shotgun and a revolver any criticism! But seriously, they're all pretty cool, I especially like the eye. Finishing this set with a waterfall is a rather odd choice though.

6. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

That's because it's less of a set and more of a random sampling.

Thanks for the responses. If you don't want to reply to a post that has more than four images then feel free to decline my invitation.

7. Invictus

Invictus TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i love how you where on the recieving end of a loaded revolver. looks like a 44. / 45. that would destroy your camera. thats my reaction. that waterfall owns though.

Edit: Nevermind, .357

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

My camera was in greater peril for the capturing of the shotgun shell.

I'm an advocate of gun safety. But if I shoot my $300 camera it's my own concern.

9. Sodak

Sodak TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Overall, I like them.

Not big on bug picks, but they seem fairly well done; not big on the mosquito.

Is that a gas mask in the background of the gun pic? I think the picture would be more interesting if you had brought it forward more.

The waterfall itself looks good, but I'm trying to figure out if you darkened the rest of the picture. It looks like a pretty setting and I'd like to see it better.

Nice clicking with the bridge.

10. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

It is a gas mask. Israeli.

I did a broad vignette on that picture but it was a bit dark to begin with. I was going for contrast between the waterfall itself and a dim surrounding.

Here's the original picture:
    [​IMG]

11. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are some pretty good images taken with your Panasonic DMC-FZ28...really clean and crisp. The waterfall shot is really good...I like the editing you did to it.

12. TheMightyGoat

TheMightyGoat TPF Noob!

Danke. Images 1, 2 and 4 were taken with the Nikon 4100, for the record.