Reaction score
WOWzaaa
[URL said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki/445618364/in/pool-appleusers/[/url]
usethiszc9.jpg

usethisin7.jpg

usethiscf2.jpg

Photos sent to me by my friend Danny with this caption:

My wife’s uncle works in a military hospital and told me about this. Its pretty amazing. Kevin Garrad (3rd Infantry Division) was on a street patrol in Iraq (Tikrit I believe) and as he rounded the corner of a building an armed (AK-47) insurgent came from the other side.

The two of them were within just a few feet of each other when they opened fire. The insurgent was killed and Kevin was hit in the left chest where his IPod was in his jacket pocket. It slowed the bullet down enough that it did not completely penetrate his body armor. Fortunately, Kevin suffered no wound.

I thought it was a great story so I posted them here.

UPDATE 04.05.07:
I just got an email via flickr from an engineer at Apple. He showed the photos around the office and want to help get the guy a new iPod. So it's looking good that it will be replaced.

Great story :)

Thats crazy, well i guess ipods should be standard issue now.

I'm actually surprised that an ipod could really slow down an AK bullet.

Im sure he has a wicked bruise where the bullet hit his body armor.

Those shot from a distance where their sappi plates stop the round still end up with a killer bruise. This dude got shot at close range OUCH!!!

This reminds me of one of our squads which was doing the normal patrol down the MSR and they got hit with a small IED the vehicle was fine except the tires. When they got back on post and got their stuff out of the truck a couple of guys found shrapnel embedded in the MREs that was in their backpacks in the trunk. Its nothing like getting shot but it was cool souvenirs for them.

Wow, that's amazing. They should start making everyone wear and extra body armor made of old ipods... lol

Most reactions

Back