Is the more expensive the best option?

Here's a suggestion: Instead of trading up from the 3300 to the 810, why not ADD the 810 to your gear list?

I suppose I did poorly misword my statement. I am adding a camera to my arsenal, I just can't decide which one. I can read reviews on amazon all day long, but I'd rather hear from other people who know a bit about what they are talking about. I came across far to many people who, when asked about specific specs, the response was "i don't know, but the pictures are really great!"

What do you need out of a camera? and what is your D3300 unable to provide you?

Honestly, if you don't understand the differences between and reasonings behind a D810 over a D5300 to upgrade your D3300, maybe this isn't the right time to buy a new camera.

Well I'd say yes but caveat that with but you meed to know how to use it. The D810 has more advanced features than the D5300 and is full frame. It's those little differences that can make a big deal but it's the usual mantra of if you don't already know why its better you probably don't need it. Honestly if you are only a year into photography you'd probbably be better spending money on good glass and time on improving your technique. Upgrade the body when you are looking for something spesific that your current body just can't do

I've been doing photography for going on 3. I'm looking to get a new camera in the beginning of 2017. I apologize if that I wasn't clear with that.

What do you need out of a camera? and what is your D3300 unable to provide you?

It provides what I need, I'm just looking to move up. I need a second camera anyways, so I figured if I'm looking to purchase my second, I should look into moving on up to something better since I'll be able to afford the better quality and use my 3300 as my second.

I'd slow down a little here.

Firstly, I don't know of anywhere that you'll get a d810 for "just" 1000 more than a d5300
Secondly- apart from features, a better af system and a swivel screen, the d5300 should give practically identical image quality to your d5300 (a good image quality at that)
Thirdly- generally a camera such as a d810 needs a different set of lenes than your d3300 to get the best out of it (grant it you don't say your lenses)
Fourth, what KMH said on lighting.

If you need a second camera I suggest you look for a cheap option at this point of time as a backup, until you figure what improvements you need in your main camera if any. A d90 would fit in there nicely, cheap and can drive older lenses that can be bought cheap if required.

*Its probably safe to also say that a d750 (@ 700-1000 or so cheaper than a d810) is probably a better choice of camera for about 80% of photographers

*statistic made up on the spot

...... I need a second camera anyways, so I figured if I'm looking to purchase my second,................

But what do you need another camera to do for you that your current camera doesn't?

...... I need a second camera anyways, so I figured if I'm looking to purchase my second,................

But what do you need another camera to do for you that your current camera doesn't?
Work when the other one breaks at the worst possible moment would be my guess.

For as an owner of the D3300, it does everything I need it to based on my skill level and shooting needs. If I were to upgrade, it would be the D7200 for the slightly better image quality (51 AF points), and the Pentaprism viewfinder. At the end of the day, the upgrade will come when I feel the need to make my D3300 my backup camera. I am saving up for better lighting currently.

If I were doing weddings, I would want a camera body that is built for professional work. That would mean a D7100, D7200, D500, D610, D750, or D810 (personally those are what I would be choosing from).

For an enthusiast or amateur, I understand that a full frame body and full frame lenses can be on the pricey side. However, if you're making your living from photography, it is my opinion that for weddings and portraiture, full frame is the way to go.

I think the D750 makes a lot of sense for workflow, file size, the focusing system, and a bunch of other things. The D810 makes sense over the D750 if you need to print bigger, or you crop *AND* print big quite frequently (if you crop often, 24 megapixels is still enough). The D610 isn't bad and is cheaper.

How can it sometimes be a double edged sword?

Well in portrait work higher definition isn't always as desirable. Think of someone with bad skin for example. You really don't want even more emphasis on those flaws, it just means more postwork to remove them.

Sounds like something a millennial would say.

I got the 5300 just for the swivel screen, internal wifi and some other minor actual things that i dont entirely understand. Neither has proved that great for the extra $200. For another $200 you can add on touch screen with the 5500 but none of that matters to the finished product.

Weddings can go for $2,500 and up so spending as much on a camera if you do weddings all the time makes enough sense although may not be necessary. I don't think the camera will get you the work, you have to take good pics, handle people, edit and make the sale or at least the 1st 2 and hire people for the rest.

Stepping up the camera ladder can get expensive. I take the "go for more then you need now and a pay a little more then you can afford now"rule.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back