Is the more expensive the best option?

I have a D810. Where are you finding them a mere $1000 over a D5300? Is it worth the difference? Yes.
I couldn't do my current job with a D5300. It is an utterly superb camera. Dynamic range alone is far superior. Faster focusing and easier controls. Dual card slots and full frame sensor.

I have a D810. Where are you finding them a mere $1000 over a D5300? Is it worth the difference? Yes.
I couldn't do my current job with a D5300. It is an utterly superb camera. Dynamic range alone is far superior. Faster focusing and easier controls. Dual card slots and full frame sensor.
As far as the price difference, I was looking at a new 5300 vs a used 810.
Of course I'd prefer a new 810, but again, it's on the pricier side so although I'll have the money, if I can find a good used body, I can use the saved money and put that towards good glass.

How can it sometimes be a double edged sword?

Well in portrait work higher definition isn't always as desirable. Think of someone with bad skin for example. You really don't want even more emphasis on those flaws, it just means more postwork to remove them.
This makes sense. I have customers requesting quite a bit to remove a blemish here or a spot there.

I got the 5300 just for the swivel screen, internal wifi and some other minor actual things that i dont entirely understand. Neither has proved that great for the extra $200. For another $200 you can add on touch screen with the 5500 but none of that matters to the finished product.

Weddings can go for $2,500 and up so spending as much on a camera if you do weddings all the time makes enough sense although may not be necessary. I don't think the camera will get you the work, you have to take good pics, handle people, edit and make the sale or at least the 1st 2 and hire people for the rest.
It won't get me work, but it'll help make my pictures look better! :)

This makes sense. I have customers requesting quite a bit to remove a blemish here or a spot there.

I know a lot of folks love the D810, and for good reason, it is a great camera. I guess for me though I'd probably lean more towards the 750, unless you really think you need the higher resolution for extremely large prints.

If budget is a concern, there are some other used options available that would save you quite a bit as well. An older D800 or D610, or even a D600 might be a good place to start. If your shooting professionally it's something you can transition into full frame with without breaking the bank, and you can always use it as a backup camera when and if you decided to go with something higher end like the D750 or D810.

I shoot a d600 myself, and it's a phenomenal camera. If I were thinking of shooting professionally I wouldn't hesitate to do so with the D600.

I know a lot of folks love the D810, and for good reason, it is a great camera. I guess for me though I'd probably lean more towards the 750, unless you really think you need the higher resolution for extremely large prints.

If budget is a concern, there are some other used options available that would save you quite a bit as well. An older D800 or D610, or even a D600 might be a good place to start. If your shooting professionally it's something you can transition into full frame with without breaking the bank, and you can always use it as a backup camera when and if you decided to go with something higher end like the D750 or D810.

I shoot a d600 myself, and it's a phenomenal camera. If I were thinking of shooting professionally I wouldn't hesitate to do so with the D600.
I can't find a bunch of used D600's right off the bat without going to Ebay.. ebay scares me. I'll certainly do some more research it! I like the fact that it does better in low light with high ISO's.

I can't find a bunch of used D600's right off the bat without going to Ebay.. ebay scares me. I'll certainly do some more research it! I like the fact that it does better in low light with high ISO's.
EBay is ok, just need to buy from the right people. You look for folks with a couple hundred or more transactions with all positive feedback. Then just make sure they describe the camera well so that everything is in writing. If not ask specifics before you bid. How's the LCD screen, any scratches? That sort of thing.

If it makes you too nervous check places like keh camera, or b&h for used. Their prices will be a bit higher but you'll get a bit more piece of mind that way.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

EBay is ok, just need to buy from the right people. You look for folks with a couple hundred or more transactions with all positive feedback. Then just make sure they describe the camera well so that everything is in writing. If not ask specifics before you bid. How's the LCD screen, any scratches? That sort of thing.

If it makes you too nervous check places like keh camera, or b&h for used. Their prices will be a bit higher but you'll get a bit more piece of mind that way.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
Thanks! Sometimes I don't mind buying a little extra piece of mind, it just depends on how much extra! I'll checking out those websites though! Thanks again!

@astroNikon has a spare D600 :p

As a matter of fact I do. And it has an OEM grip with it too.
Just had a check up with Nikon and it got a new front body actually as I skewed the mount. It's also had it's sensor replaced from the oil issue a few years ago.
I had to get a d750 while I waited for it to come back.

As far as the price difference, I was looking at a new 5300 vs a used 810.
Of course I'd prefer a new 810, but again, it's on the pricier side so although I'll have the money, if I can find a good used body, I can use the saved money and put that towards good glass.

Biggest problem with the D810 is that it is too good. Any flaws in your technique will be glaring. The only camera I have used that can beat it in image quality is the A7R mk2.
The Canon 5DsR isn't even close.

Most reactions

Back