ISO, F-stop, Exposure time, WB, etc.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Campbell, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Campbell

Campbell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey everyone. I've had my Olympus E500 DSLR for about 4 months now and have been using the preset modes for most of my photos. Reason being, simply, and to be perfectly honest, I just didn't know how to properly set the different settings. The main question I have is: what are the advantages of dialing in your own settings instead of just setting the camera to AUTO?

Also, can someone please explain ISO, F-stop, metering, and WB in simple terms and explain their relation with each other (as in how changing one will effect the other)? I've been doing some research online but figured I'd ask for some assistance here as well.

Many thanks! :D

2. Kimber57

Kimber57 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey, if someone answers you, I'll be interested in reading it, as well -- or maybe someone can supply a link to a web site that is SIMPLE and ELEMENTARY in its explanation of the above questions -- to those of us who are still in the crawling stage of photography and haven't learned to WALK yet!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It puts you in control of your own creativity. I started out in the Program mode, looked at the settings in the viewfinder and, like your Uncle Earnie, began to fiddle about. My biggest stumbling block was metering, what the He!! is that and how do you do it. I just finished this book and a lot of the loose ends became a bit more managable. Check it out [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-8479413-6748462?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189123361&sr=8-1"]here[/ame]. May not be the best, but it's a start.

4. CPayton

CPayton TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here are some good tutorials that'll get you started:

Morgue File Basic Tutorials

@kundalini - Yes, that's a really good book. I've read it once already and have started another run through it, taking notes this time. :D

5. jefflesh

jefflesh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe this website will help.

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

Also, I recommend that you read the book, "Understanding Exposure". IT is a great book and covers the questions you are asking.

6. scottdg

scottdg TPF Noob!

I have had my D80 for about 6 months now. I have not once turned on any of the auto settings. Believe me I have taken a lot of bad pictures. I shoot everything in RAW so I can fix most of them later. But believe me there is nothing more gratifying than seeing your pictures get better. Like the others said, do research and read books. There is also a lot of free information online. But more than anything just keep shooting.

7. Ivy

Ivy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the link, Jefflesh - as another "newbie," I actually found the information helpful and, significantly, understandable!

8. The Phototron

The Phototron TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Haha, every new kid in town comes in asking these questions that are answered a billion times already.

9. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental We're supposed to post photos?

That's one of the main reasons for the existence of this forum...

because we were all newbies once ;)