It is a Hard Life in Dubai

nick_sloter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently started doing black and white photos, along with a new lens.
This was actually my first walk with Sigma 35mm, in old part of Dubai, Deira, not flashy and famous part.
Any comments and critics are welcome!
Thanks!

Man in Black by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Tron by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Dock of Dubai by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Engine of Dubai by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Hard Dubai Life by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Dock Workers by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Walker by Nick Sloter, on Flickr

Thank you! I also think that one is the best in the series, but would really like to hear your opinion why it is for you?

15481260064_b1ccdd3c86_c.jpg

Ok, technical issues.
Excellent contrast conversion really gets across the idea of the blazing sun.
BW is certainly called for here because the colors would be distracting.
Vignetting is well done, enough to keep the viewers' eyes inside but not so much as to make it noticeable. (it is believable as naturally occurring shadows.)

Composition
Background is filled but with essentially uninteresting, repetitive stuff so extensive looking at it isn't needed.
The background trails off left and right, the implication is that there is more stuff, endless 'stuff.'
The man is about at the thirds, the strong point, walking into a great empty space.
The man is separated enough from the background that it is clear that he is what you want the viewer to look at.

You can't see his face, he is an anonymous 'beast of burden', the shadow reinforces that idea.
He is as much 'stuff' as the goods in the background.
The background sets the scene, reinforcing the idea that he has enormous work to do,
Also brings up the issue that life is cheap, where places could use equipment, it is cheaper to use people.
No time or era is implied, thus the implication that, it was like this before, it is like this now, it will be like this.

Totally great picture. (IMO)

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back