Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey Folks,

I don't normally post macro images in the General Gallery, but I thought I'd give it a go this time around. The macro gallery has such a tiny following, it can be tough to get feedback. All images were taken this morning, on a quick photowalk. Anyways, hope you all don't mind a bug every now and then!

If you have any commentary, by all means, lay it on me!

1. My favorite of the set, Fly Photoshoot

Fly Photoshoot by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. A different angle on the fly, I'm curious if people have a preference between the two!

Fly Photoshoot 2 by TogaLive, on Flickr

3. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant by TogaLive, on Flickr

Very best,

Toga

#2 Is much better than #1 in my opinion. Spiders creep me out :meh:

I prefer #1 because it is nearly abstract.

I like #1 quite a bit myself. The shallow DOF works better with #1 than with #2.

#2 Is much better than #1 in my opinion. Spiders creep me out :meh:

Haha, they tend to do that to most folks! Thanks for the feedback!

I prefer #1 because it is nearly abstract.

I'm in your boat. For me, more time was put into making the image just what I wanted it to be while out in the field. Both were shot with purpose, but I just like the depth in #1.

I like #1 quite a bit myself. The shallow DOF works better with #1 than with #2.

Thanks for the CC, I was thinking the same thing :)

Anyone else? I would love some more opinions, or even to just hear if you all like bug photos every so often?

Well I'm a macro junkie anyway, so I would've seen this no matter where you posted it :D

I would love to see a bigger DOF in #'s 2 and 3.

#1 is my favorite as well.

Well I'm a macro junkie anyway, so I would've seen this no matter where you posted it :D

I would love to see a bigger DOF in #'s 2 and 3.

#1 is my favorite as well.

Hoorah for macro junkies! Thanks for the feedback, and glad you liked them!

I've been experimenting with getting more DOF lately, but I'm pretty much at my limits right now. All of my macros are taken with a nifty fifty on 49mm of (non-electric) extension tubes. My sharpest images come out when I have the 50 set to f/8, but recently I've traded some sharpness for more DOF by setting it to f/10. Problem is, beyond f/10 the sharpness drops off incredibly fast, and I am nothing if not a pixel peeper.

Perhaps one day, I'll own a real macro lens, but on a college student budget, the trusty 50 is all I've got. Still, I've been happy with it thus far, and tend to dislike most macros where the entire subject is in focus.

I love the shallow DOF in the first shot. But I would like to see a bit more DOF in the second.
I really like the POV in #1, it is very different from most bug macros I've seen and I think that is what is drawing me to it more than #2.

Spiders creep me out big time ! They're pretty cool to look at in photos though, and yours is no exception. The multiple eyes are pretty neat.
I'll tell you, there is NO WAY I'd be taking a picture of that thing if I saw it. You'd see me running away as fast as my legs could carry me. LOL

Most reactions

Back