Johanna Portrait

...I could go on forever but here's one where you got wrong. # 4 it wasn't positioned too far right but I was using the 580EX right on the camera itself and was standing directly above her face and shot straight down.
Not to be arguementative, but if that ^ were the case, you would have achieved the "butterfly lighting" effect. This would have placed the shadow below the nose and lower lip (moreso on prounced lips). This would also create a shadow under the jawline. The nose shadow on #4 is going up.

No it wouldn't have because I was directly on her and she was looking up and the direction of her face wouldn't create the butterfly lighting effect on her face. It would though if she was staright straight at me and the light was placed directly over her head facing me that'd give the butterfly lighting effect :mrgreen:

Not arguing with you just a friendly debate. I promise :hugs:

I could go on forever but here's one where you got wrong. # 4 it wasn't positioned too far right but I was using the 580EX right on the camera itself and was standing directly above her face and shot straight down.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen you turn away from good advice before. Maybe you're thinking of a different shot, but the light source does not read as from directly above. I have seen enough of Kundalini's pink monkey posts to know that he has a solid understanding of lighting.

You're shots are moving forward, but we all miss details.

I could go on forever but here's one where you got wrong. # 4 it wasn't positioned too far right but I was using the 580EX right on the camera itself and was standing directly above her face and shot straight down.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've never seen you turn away from good advice before. Maybe you're thinking of a different shot, but the light source does not read as from directly above. I have seen enough of Kundalini's pink monkey posts to know that he has a solid understanding of lighting.

You're shots are moving forward, but we all miss details.

Thanks, yes I noticed and realized one thing. When I have her turn her face I should move the light or have a 2nd person hold a reflector. The swimsuit shots I'll have an assistant to hold the reflectors and most of the lights will be head on straight. I'm looking at some references at the moment for some before I go out there. Wish me luck on those. I know Kundalini has :lol: Hopefully he'll be surprised :mrgreen:

Hopefully he'll be surprised :mrgreen:
I only wish the best for you. My comments derive from how my brain interprets what my eyes see. Sometimes I get confused.

Here's something else to consider on your next portraiture session.

Thanks! I also got a printed chard which shows lights from different direction. I just have to find it! ehhh too late tonight though But will check out the thread tomorrow.

Most reactions

Back