John Street - Luton - March

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by ferny, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

My second exploration and second in one day. More photos on my blog. www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk

Location: John Street, Luton - a part-demolished three story building

History: Not sure on this one. I’ve done a bit of research this morning and it’s not easy to find out. I’ve stumbled across some plans for demolition in the area and I think it used to be a warehouse of some description.

Aim: To be nosey and see what was there. We spotted it when we were walking past it so this wasn’t planned.

Team: ferny, DPW2008

Result: Success. A good nosey and it lasted about an hour. Not bad for a three story building which was falling apart. Oh, and did I mention that opposite this building is a regular haunt for the armed police? I’ve no idea why they go there but they’re there every time I go into town. That made things more interesting.

[​IMG]
    A motor for the ventilation system? Next to it was a wooden shed with large fabric bags which appeared to act as filters. Space was tight so I didn’t get any clear photos of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Inside was dark…

[​IMG]
    Lots of electricity in use in the building.

[​IMG]
    “And if you look to your left you’ll see a massive hole in the ceiling.”

[​IMG]
    This was an area in the basement with no light. Around the floor were clothes from where people had obviously been sleeping rough. This was a “point, use the flash and hope it’s in focus” moment. There was no light… One odd thing, there was broken eggs and tea lights on the work bench.

[​IMG]
    Mr DPW2008 in a camp moment. Don’t worry, that’s not his real face. Or his shopping on the floor.

[​IMG]
    Onto the first floor. A bit messy with ceiling tiles and light fittings on the floor.

[​IMG]
    A pile of rubble on the wooden floor boards… Looking back, we weren’t in the safest of places, were we? The smell of rotting plasterboard throughout the whole building was horrible.

[​IMG]
    The damp was making the paint flake off of the walls.

[​IMG]
    You’re now looking into the big hole you saw earlier. I told you it was dark down there. ;)

[​IMG]
    Someone’s stolen the roof! And the walls.

[​IMG]
    We felt it best not to walk along here.

[​IMG]
    Lift motor? It was a distance from the rest of the lift. I wonder why.

[​IMG]
    But then we found some toilets!!! Yay!!! Blue for the boys.

[​IMG]
    And pink for the girls.

[​IMG]
    I think this goes without saying.

[​IMG]
    And this is the two of us. Me on the left and DPW2008 on the right.

2. lostprophet

lostprophet No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    well those toilets are better than the ones in 'The Three Guineas' in town :lol: