Just a tree

niforpix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a new "toy" today... picked up a used, but mint 10-22mm lens... *drool*

Took a quick shot from my patio... No edits done to the pic. I know the sky is blown out, but I don't know how to fix it in photoshop... :( I'll learn one day...

2517331057_b12e2b878d_b.jpg

You can fix it to a degree in photoshop but not always,There are other easy`er(mind the spelling) ways to combat this problem.First you need a tripod and mount your cam to it you aim the camera to the sky and focus in (auto foucus)take a quick look at the ex settings and write them down.Then point the cam to the foreground/middleground and again foucus/autofocus,take a look at ex settings and write them down.Now compose the shot you want to take and lock off your tripod.If you have a remote control it would be good here but if not set your cam on to the timer.Next you manually input the exposure settings that you had written down for the sky and take the shot.Then input the exposure settings for the middle/foreground and take the same identical shot with the diffrent ex settings and finally merge the two shots in photoshop.If you dont no how let us know.

Ah I see what you mean. That's a good idea. But I guess you don't always carry a tripod with you to use this technique for all shots. But in my case, I think I will try that again tomorrow.

And how would you merge those 2 in photoshop by the way?

Thanks in advance :)

Heres a more detailed(mind the spelling again:lol:)Way of doing it starting from the top.

Remember,two identical images - thats why tripod is a must - there is an alternative way which also can work well, but it does require image editing program that allows you to adjust exposures so shoot in raw mode

Both need you to hae editing software that allows layers and you have photoshop so thats ok.

Before using tripod - point camera at the brighter part of the sky and manually correct the exposure - make a note of the settings.

Then point at the foreground and redo the exposure - make a note.

Place camera on tripod and compose the image - take two shots with camera firmly in place on tripod. One image with the exposure set with the settings note for the sky, the other - use ths settings for the foreground.

Then, you open one image up in software, then copy the other image into first, it creates a new layer, then you erase the blown out sky from one, which will show the properly exposed sky below.

Have a look here - best I could find at the minute, but it does show what can be done

Then, you open one image up in software, then copy the other image into first, it creates a new layer, then you erase the blown out sky from one, which will show the properly exposed sky below.

Have a look here - best I could find at the minute, but it does show what can be done

http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/moon/moon.htm

If you do not have Photoshop or Paint shop pro , there is a free program that a lot of people use and compare it to photoshop its called GIMP, and its free, but I have never used it - not sure if anyone on here.

Look at http://gimp.org/windows/

am sure there is better documented procedures somewhere, and at the moment I am unable to go any deeper into the expalnation or try and do a graphical tutorial -Someone might be up for it.

The alternate I mentioned requires one image, that you can then process as two - one set for a correct sky, the other for the foreground - shooting RAW would work best for this method, save the two images and then combine as above.

Sorry if this seems rushed and not too clear, will come back to it later

Look here
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/video_workshop/?id=vid0006

the videos are brilliant training in CS3

and a tutorial by my friend here

http://mikesphotography.myfreeforum.org/about1743.html

Hope this helps.

Your tips are great. But does CS2 have a built in RAW converter? I'm not sure how to get into that part of it, as well as the whole thing of "erasing the sky". Also can all of this be done with JPG files?

Thank you.

No-it cant be done in jpeg mode sorry.

depending on what slr you have-You can change shooting mode in camera to raw mode-when you get your RAW files off your cam and onto you pc you then just open them up in cs2 as you would with a jpeg and the raw converter will start all by itself.

Erasing the sky sounds a lot harder than it actually is Im just not very good at explaining it but Ill give it a try.First things first though,Find Out If your cam can shoot In RAW format!

Yes it can shoot RAW which is good. I just never was I guess "serious" enough to shoot everything in RAW. But thanks for the tip about the converter. I will take this shot again, in RAW, sometime today and tweak with it in Photoshop and see if I can come up with better results :)

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back