Just one lens

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was gifted a Canon rebel xt and the kit lens is OK but I really am getting in to photography and I know I need a better lens.. what are some suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It would be helpful if you told us what your main use is.

Budget and type of photography that you would like to do will get more accurate answers. Otherwise people will just tell you what lenses they like.

P.S. I like the 500mm F4.

As mentioned above, what it's going to be used for and your budget are pretty key factors. However, a good 50mm prime is usually a great starting point and not going to break the bank. But it's no good if you're planning to photograph birds from 200 metres away :)

Kids.. lol. I got 6 of them so portraits, I guess.
Thanks for the quick replies.

You don't need multiple lenses to make good images. Use what you have, and learn all you can with it. If you find something you can't do with the gear, come back to the forum, explain what that is and maybe there's a lens that will do just that. But at this point, you probably need to learn more to make full use of what you already have.

The key is what lenses you already have and what you want to do with the camera. The make and model of camera is not that important to answer your question.
I've found my 18-140 zoom to be the most useful for me. The 18-200 would also be nice. On the crop sensor camera the 18-140 works out to be about roughly a 27-210 and that will work for in a small room with the kids to out in the far side of the yard so you've got the coverage you need most of the time.

*** I'm old so still convert lenses in my head to what they would be with my 35mm Nikon F.

I currently only have the kit lens that came with my Canon rebel xt. I just purchased the Canon 50 mm

I currently only have the kit lens that came with my Canon rebel xt. I just purchased the Canon 50 mm
So you have more than what you need to make good photos. Now go out and make them.

Sure will!! Love the fourm! Everyone is so helpful.

start shooting pics with those lens and see how you like them

you're on the right track!

that lens is worlds more sharp than the kit lens and the wide aperture will be a life saver indoors.

you have to spend A LOT of money to buy a lens that will take better family/kid photos than a nifty fifty

Most reactions

Back