Just upgraded to a D3200

SpudA2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone spud here,and as the title say I've took the plunge at last. After starting photography 4 years ago with my bridge Fuji s4000,I have just had my Nikon for a month now and what a difference. Just getting to know how it works but very pleased with what it can do. This is a great forum to learn,get tips and good info in how to better my photography. Here attached is a photo I took the other morning with the DSLR, hope to share more and thanks for having me spud
uploadfromtaptalk1439329753436.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Spud.

The 3200 is a great camera, I've previously owned and shot both the D5100 and the D5200, and I'm currently using a D7100 myself.

Thanks for the warm welcome robbins.photo, it's a great starting point the D3200 and did my homework before I bought the Nikon. I have progressed in the last 4 years, and have had photos published and won a comp so I had to get a Dslr to better my photography, and take it to the next level stage 2, I have the standard kit lens the DX VR 18-55, and need a telephoto lens soon as I love nature and wildlife, but at the moment just learning how the lens works. Well up at 4 to catch the sunrise, and may be the odd suprize, a fox or deer, I live a 10 minute walk from the nature reserve and the river Ribble so plenty to photograph, and I hope to own and use as many Dslr as you one day cheers Spud

Welcome to the forums!

I'm very new to this as well and just bought a D3300. Have no clue what I'm doing quite yet, but enjoying the learning process.

Great pic by the way!

Thanks for the welcome Indiana yakfish, yes me too your never to old to learn , I love the challage and to get better photos. Enjoy your camera and thanks for the comment about the photo spud ☺

Welcome to TPF! Keep in mind that the D3200 does not require autofocusing lenses--it can mount virtually every, single common F-mount lens and accessory (except for less than a handful of exotic 1960's collector ultra-wide angle lenses and anything that REQUIRES mirror lock-up use). SO...keep an eye out for used manual focus telephotos that can be had very affordably, like $10-$25!

Some very fine, older lenses, like the 200mm f/4 Ai or AiS Nikkor can be had for $65-$75, same with the older 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 Nikkor lenses. In third-party lenses, there are millions of $10-$25 F-mount lenses out there!

Thanks for the warm welcome robbins.photo, it's a great starting point the D3200 and did my homework before I bought the Nikon. I have progressed in the last 4 years, and have had photos published and won a comp so I had to get a Dslr to better my photography, and take it to the next level stage 2, I have the standard kit lens the DX VR 18-55, and need a telephoto lens soon as I love nature and wildlife, but at the moment just learning how the lens works. Well up at 4 to catch the sunrise, and may be the odd suprize, a fox or deer, I live a 10 minute walk from the nature reserve and the river Ribble so plenty to photograph, and I hope to own and use as many Dslr as you one day cheers Spud

For telephoto the sky is really the limit. My favorite, go to lens is a 70-200 mm F/2.8, but of course it's a bit bigger and heavier than it's slower cousins like the Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR.

The Nikkor 70-300 mm though is an outstanding zoom lens, truly a remarkable value for the money if you don't need the faster glass. Of course you might decide to "go big" and look at something in the 100-600 mm range, both Tamron and Sigma have offerings in the focal length.

So really for telephoto it all depends on how much you need and how much your willing to spend.

Welcome! Glad you are here.

The Nikkor 70-300 mm though is an outstanding zoom lens, truly a remarkable value for the money if you don't need the faster glass.

I just bought the Nikkor 70-300mm. Again, I'm totally new and have no clue how to really judge a good lens from a great lens, but I'm really liking this lens for the money. Still playing with it but really happy with the purchase.

Welcome aboard Spud!
Congo's on your new acquisition, am sure it will serve you well.
Nice halo you got there mate!
Do you have one with a lil bit softer sun? :) or one when it had just started to peep out? and did you try a starburst?
Cheers!
Jasii

The Nikkor 70-300 mm though is an outstanding zoom lens, truly a remarkable value for the money if you don't need the faster glass.

I just bought the Nikkor 70-300mm. Again, I'm totally new and have no clue how to really judge a good lens from a great lens, but I'm really liking this lens for the money. Still playing with it but really happy with the purchase.

In that price range you could not have gotten a better lens. The 70-300 mm VR produces amazingly sharp images, it really is worth every penny. I had one for a while and loved it, I didn't end up keeping it just because I purchased a 70-200mm F 2.8 and as a result the 70-300 mm just sat in the bag after that. The F 2.8 was just too versatile and too useful for the type of shooting I do so the 300 mm just wasn't seeing much if any use.

But I still highly recommend that lens, I think you'll find most Nikon shooters who have used it feel the same.

Thanks for the very warm welcome off you all, and thanks for the heads up on lenses and what will work with the camera. There's a lot to go at and knowing that a lot of manual ones work just fine for a very good price. And I am glad to be on board thanks again spud

Welcome to TPF! Keep in mind that the D3200 does not require autofocusing lenses--it can mount virtually every, single common F-mount lens and accessory (except for less than a handful of exotic 1960's collector ultra-wide angle lenses and anything that REQUIRES mirror lock-up use). SO...keep an eye out for used manual focus telephotos that can be had very affordably, like $10-$25!

Some very fine, older lenses, like the 200mm f/4 Ai or AiS Nikkor can be had for $65-$75, same with the older 135/2.8 or 135/3.5 Nikkor lenses. In third-party lenses, there are millions of $10-$25 F-mount lenses out there!
Thanks derrel [emoji6]

Welcome aboard Spud!
Congo's on your new acquisition, am sure it will serve you well.
Nice halo you got there mate!
Do you have one with a lil bit softer sun? :) or one when it had just started to peep out? and did you try a starburst?
Cheers!
Jasii
Hi Jasii and thanks, to tell you the truth I haven't got a clue what a star burst is, I also would like to know would a filter soften the glare of the sun. Or is that what a star burst is, a filter ?[emoji2]

Here's one for you mate
Yes! there are star filters to soften and they make bright objects look star like. Also when the sun just about makes an appearance you could try and take a shot minus the filter by using a low iso and narrow aperture.
Cheers!
Jasii

Attachments

• dawn2.JPG
    dawn2.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 157

Most reactions

New Topics

Back