Kapparot

danir

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a jewish traditional ritual inwhich ones sins are transferred to a chicken at Yom Kipur eve. Most do not participate in it though:

1. buying the hen
DSC_0022small.jpg

2. Saying the prayer.
DSC_0024small.jpg

3. Moving the hen around the head 3 times.
DSC_0027small.jpg

DSC_0019small.jpg

I preferred not to add pictures showing the chicken slaughtered.
More details about this ritual can be found here.

Thanks for looking.
Dani.

Last edited:
That white-red heap in the background of the first photo ... makes me ... erm ... wonder!?!?!
Underneath the last photo you mention the chicken being slaughtered ... and now I STILL wonder, and wonder even more: is that heap ... erm ... what I think it is?

All the same: thank you for giving us some insight into your culture and traditions. Were there tourists around, too, who photographed the ceremonies? (Right edge of last photo makes me ask...)

That white-red heap in the background of the first photo ... makes me ... erm ... wonder!?!?!
Underneath the last photo you mention the chicken being slaughtered ... and now I STILL wonder, and wonder even more: is that heap ... erm ... what I think it is?

You got it right Corinna. According to the tradition the chicken should be given to the poor to eat, but I'm not sure they follow that part.

Were there tourists around, too, who photographed the ceremonies? (Right edge of last photo makes me ask...)

Right again. There were quite a few people photographing there, some of which also participated in the ritual.

All the same: thank you for giving us some insight into your culture and traditions.
Can't say I feel this is part of my culture.

Thanks for commenting.
Dani

Very kewl shots! #1 is classic is so many ways! Awesome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back