Kelso Dunes at Sunset

polymoog

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.polymoog.se
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry if this particular scene has been posted a million times before ...

park019.jpg

This is the original file (saved as jpeg, originally taken in RAW)

IMGP8970.jpg

Exif : ISO 400, 1/250 sec, F9, 23mm with Sigma 17-70mm, handheld

If anyone wants to make their own version they are more than welcome to redo my original file and post it here ...
I would have liked the colours in the sky to stand out a bit more, but there is only so much PP you can do before it becomes noticable, at least, if you are me ;-)

There is something missing in the picture…not sure what. I’m thinking the lack of a foreground image to create a sense of depth.

I’m also not digging the horizon line being 1/3 from the bottom. It emphasises the sky, which other than the bits on the lower left behind the mountain (which is what you added via PP), is not that interesting. But like you said, there is only so much you can do.

Reshot with a better sky line would be great.

I dunno, just some random thoughts.

Interesting you should say that - I deliberately re composed it so the horizon would be much lower, because I have seen it like that in other pics.

I agree though the sky could be more interesting, but I didn't want it to detract from the dunes too much. I just wanted to emphasise the vastness of everything, but I guess it didn't work :)

But thanks for your thoughts, I appreciate it :)

I think that you did a respectable job of making the sky interesting and straightening out the tilt..

The shot could have conveyed more of the vastness you were looking for if you had stepped off the road a few feet and shot from waist level.

If you want to demonstrate vastness of the landscape, include more foreground, if you want vastness of the universe, add more sky...:D

It's been weeks since I was last there, but I've been there enough to remember what it was like.

kelso-IMGP8970.jpg

I did 6 things to this image-

1. straighten tilt.
2. crop
3. Used rectangle selection tool to pick from bottom of dunes up (feather 16) to top of photo and make an adjustment layer and and adjust levels to the edges of the histogram.
4. Invert selection and do the same to the creosote bushes.
5. Use brush and do another adjustment layer to the dunes and do the same.
6. Sharpen and fade to taste.

The exif shows something like f9 at 1/250, iso 400. Looks like handheld. I'd do the following if I were to have shot it;

Use tripod
iso 100 (or less)
f22 or (smaller)
meter on sky (probably 3-7 sec shutter speed)
& always shoot raw.

Cool thanks for your suggestions Abraxas! I did give the Exif in my first post! It was handheld b/c I was travelling and didn't have the tripod with me, but I agree it would have helped a lot for this kind of shot. And as I said, it was shot raw, but I though it would be easier for people if I posted it as a jpg.

Larry D : thanks for your comment, and I did get off the road, walked a hundred metres or so down the path towards the dunes, wanted to walk further but the light was fading and it was getting cold :) I appreciate what you say though, I almost never take this kind of pic so it's cool to get some advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back