"Kids being kids" Sorry...been practicing a lot.

AMOMENT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I apologize for all the CC shoots but I'm curious to see what you guys think if you have a minute. Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Suggestions/corrrections/ pp of your own VERY welcome. =)

16-9.jpg

17-8.jpg

28-3.jpg

29-7.jpg

30-6.jpg

31-5.jpg

33-5.jpg

34-2.jpg

The conversion on the first two is... well... I am pretty sure it's not a good choice. I did not notice the ice cream cone at first and it just doesn't look so hot.

These are much better focused than your others. Exposures aren't too bad either, but they are achieved in editing. That in itself isn't entirely a bad thing, but when you consider the settings you used to achieve this it definitely says you are clueless.

I have to ask, why are you posting these for critique? They are mom snapshots of your kids. They are not engaging, they are not any type of portrait. Does a mother love them? Sure, you look at them and see your babies. That's it.
They are all dead center with no thought to composure. You have GOT to stop editing because your colors are electric. You have blown every bit of detail in the pink of the bathing suit. Your greens are off the chart.
It's obvious that you haven't studied or learned anything if you are shooting at ISO 800 in the full sunlight and you STILL have to increase exposure by .75 and brightness by +50. You've had to boost clarity because you've lost detail in your mid tones...

I am just really disappointed in the effort you have obviously not put into this when there has been so much time given to help you. You would be in FAR better condition if you just put that camera in auto and let it do the thinking. I am sorry.

The conversion on the first two is... well... I am pretty sure it's not a good choice. I did not notice the ice cream cone at first and it just doesn't look so hot.

These are much better focused than your others. Exposures aren't too bad either, but they are achieved in editing. That in itself isn't entirely a bad thing, but when you consider the settings you used to achieve this it definitely says you are clueless.

I have to ask, why are you posting these for critique? They are mom snapshots of your kids. They are not engaging, they are not any type of portrait. Does a mother love them? Sure, you look at them and see your babies. That's it.
They are all dead center with no thought to composure. You have GOT to stop editing because your colors are electric. You have blown every bit of detail in the pink of the bathing suit. Your greens are off the chart.
It's obvious that you haven't studied or learned anything if you are shooting at ISO 800 in the full sunlight and you STILL have to increase exposure by .75 and brightness by +50. You've had to boost clarity because you've lost detail in your mid tones...

I am just really disappointed in the effort you have obviously not put into this when there has been so much time given to help you. You would be in FAR better condition if you just put that camera in auto and let it do the thinking. I am sorry.

Thats putting it bluntly.

OP I think you would benefit greatly by trying to get correct exposure in camera rather than using PP to "fix" Them. These are great snaps for loving parents, but they lack in the areas MLeeK has mentioned to make them Photographs that people without an attachment could like. If taking them from "nice snap" to "wow" is what you are after then listen to these people on here and learn from it. Even if the critique sounds harsh.

AMEN!

I'm all about tangible advice and critique...even someone saying "these suck" just don't personally attack me or tell me I'm not "listening/obeying"...you have no clue HOW HARD I try and I am an adult and a mother and I deserve some personal respect and decency. Reprimmanding never needed..........and never helpful. If you are commenting that means you are "trying to help?" If not...don't comment. I take so many different threads of advice on here so don't take it personal if the advice that "YOU" specifically have given me is not showed in the photos I chose to post.

I think my photos are sharper here but I see lots of errors still...

These are not all my kids =) Though, they are all cute...

Yep. I finally told you exactly what I was thinking and feeling.
My question as to why you would post these as a professional level critique isn't being snarky. It's simple truth. Why would you? They are great mom snaps that any mother would treasure. That's great. I have THOUSANDS of them of each of my children. They're for me, not for critique on composition, focus, color, exposure, etc.

As for my parting words, I put a LOT of time into helping and encouraging you and I feel like I was the fool here. So, yeah, my final words ware a bit to chew.
I just don't think any of us can help you. Look for someone local that you might be able to do a coffee hour once or twice a week with. I know I can't help you and I know that several of the guys have gotten to that point as well.
When you aren't up-front and truthful with us there just isn't anything anyone can do to help you.

I highly recommend you join ilovephotography.com
It is a kinder gentler community geared toward shooting children.
I promise you will be happier there, than you ever have been here.

I think you've gotten all you're gonna get out of here.

I think she should get out of forums entirely. The best and kindest forum is going to be cacophony of conflicting (or apparently conflicting, or conflicting after it's been misunderstood) advice. If you don't learn well sorting out information from noise, you should probably go grab Photography for Dummies from the library. She's having so much trouble with really basic technical stuff I'm pretty sure she's simply trying to integrate too many different pieces of information, phrased in too many different ways.

Mleek, I am not dishonest. If you really didn't think I was doing better and improving, than you saying I was ....was being dishonest. I thought I was on the right path and continued on it. We hadn't spoken in so long so I detoured a bit because what else was I supposed to do? Last we spoke, we were wishing eachother well. That was a bit decieving......I don't get it. If I was going off track than you shouldn't have told me "I see a lot of improvement." Just because I don't have one of those software things to tell me my exact settings, get it wrong, and then say it does not mean I'm dishonest...it means well, I JUST FORGOT. I have shot in S priority a lot this month so I assumed that's what it was. I got defensive at first but what do you expect when other mutual adults start scolding you?

Seriousely I'm just going to GOD/KARMA this one......I have been nothing but nice to everyone on here, never insulting, and only defended myself when attacked. Whether or not I'm "obeying" advice is irrelevant..........there is simply a lack of decency. To be honest, I have been a teacher, been frustrated with students and NEVER HAVE I TALKED TO ANYONE IN THESE WAYS.

No, I did not charge...just friends. =) Listen, at the end of the day we all have to put food on the dinner table. When people see my photos, like them, and OFFER AND TELL ME to start charging, who wouldn't accept? If they are happy, what's it to you? In the end, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
You will never know how much all this means to me and on what a emotional level it to me. Well, you have succeeded in making someone feel inept, stupid, a failure, and discouraged. I was and still am extremely enthusiastic...maybe too much, and had a SINCERE PASSION FOR "YOUR" CRAFT......things get crazy and it's hard to learn sometimes espcially when you don't have time or money to attend a class. Maybe I did try and do too much at once. Maybe I took some advice, left others, and tried to sort it out....but I never did anything morally wrong and I was responded to as if I committed felonies. I just wanted to learnt he craft, succeed, and share this passion with other people. Maybe I suck, maybe I am thick headed, but you know what, that doesn't justify some of the responses I've gotten on here.

Soooo...congratulations, you have all bullied me away and made someone feel like complete crap! I only hope that if you ever struggle with something important in your life that you are not met with as much torment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back