Kind of excited

jedirunner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today I spent some money ... actually one of the cheapest photography purchases ever, probably. I bought some PVC, joints, clamps, a white sheet, and some lamps with 100w 5000k bulbs for a cheap light box setup. Cut and assemble the PVC into a 2'x2'x2' (roughly) cube. Clamped the white sheet over top and sides. Draped a dark piece of fleece over the back for a cheap backdrop. Finally, took the 7 year old daughter out to pick a couple of our daffodils. Popped them in a glass, put it inside the box, put the lamps on the outside of the box, and had some fun. (absolutely no care about composition, or photographic artistry or perfection -- just let the 7 year old grab her old hand-me-down camera (she has a canon powershot sx200), and took some snaps.

While this isn't any sort of a professional light cube or strobe setup, it certainly should fill the gap when I want to go shoot something but the weather's horrible, and I can just bring a flower inside.

Also, it has the lovely side-effect of showing my wife what lighting setup can do and what it's significant limitations are. She's already 90% convinced I need a $500-$750 budget for a lighting setup to start learning portraits with lighting. hehehe... Just have to keep convincing her.

Regardless -- i have a blast snapping away with my daughters.

Kevin

Oh, forgot to mention that I also *finally* invested in a copy of LightRoom 4. Only been using snapseed on the iPad so far for any editing I've been doing. LightRoom will be a huge upgrade I'm sure.

What an awesome thing to have done!!!! Major bonus points awarded to you,sir!

:addpics:

Let's see if I can make this post slightly less worthless ...

1. The PVC project (roughly 2' cube)
$p1534628964-4.jpg
2. Covered (clamped bed sheet, white fleece backdrop, clamp lamps with 100w (equivalent) 5000k fluorescent bulbs)
$p1534628980-4.jpg
3. Had to grab something to shoot. Yes, it looks horrible, and I'll need to work on that. But I just grabbed it, put it on a box with a sheet of printer paper under it, and shot.
$p1534629016-4.jpg

I think once I:
1- Setup for and take *intentional* photos
2- Diffuse the light slightly more
3- Get more experience
... I could be in for some fun times with the daughters. (the 11 year old is my main photo companion, shooting with a Canon G1-X currently. The 7 year old is the just-getting-started companion, shooting with the hand-me-down PowerShot SX 200. The 17 year old and 13 year old don't care much for anything but taking snapshots).

Kevin

Attachments

• $p1534628964-3.jpg
    $p1534628964-3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 86

Most reactions

New Topics

Back