Lack of AF motor

Syndac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.syndac.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been trying to figure out the logic for a while now but just can't. I'm not trying to start a nikon/canon debate, as I'm a nikon fan myself but putting them down in this thread.

I don't understand why the new nikon releases have no AF motor. My first assumption is that they're planning on slapping focus motors in every new lens they produce, but from these forums alone I can see how much it's hurting their sales. I've seen quite a few threads where someone's wanting to buy a new entry level DSLR and they're comparing the D40/D60 to Rebel/XT. In many cases the argument comes in that they're virtually the same, however nikon has no AF motor which will cause problems in the long run. The end result, they choose canon.

I just don't understand this decision by nikon. Most people getting into photography would start with the lower end cameras, but why remove something that many people find beneficial when the competition hasn't? I still value my D50 over the D40/D60 but since it's discontinued it's hard to recommend it to others.

Manufacturing costs most likely. Lower manufacturing costs= lower cost to the consumer.... of course i'm just guessing.

This all goes back to the 80s.

When auto focus SLR cameras were breaking in, Canon changed the size & type of mount they use for their new lenses, which had AF motors in them.
This pissed off a lot of people and Canon took a hit...especially people who had a lot of money invested in FD lenses. They essentially had to buy all new lenses if they wanted to upgrade to an EOS camera body. There was a Canon made adapter that was sold only to pro photographers, but it wasn't a great solution.

Anyway, Nikon did not change their mount. They simply put the AF motor in the new camera bodies so that any new AF lens could use that motor...while at the same time, older lenses were still compatible. This has been an advantage that Nikon had had over Canon since then.

Fast forward to the present and modern cameras are getting smaller and have a lot more guts to cram into the bodies...and one of the things to go, was the AF motor...because it's easy and common to put the AF motor in the lens (like Canon did from the start).

So, I guess you could say that things are finally starting to balance out between Canon & Nikon and they way they chose to integrate auto focus.

Also, I'm sure Nikon is aware of who they sell the majority of these cameras to. I'd guess that 90% of D40/D60 users will only ever buy one or two lenses and there are plenty of AF-S & G lenses that will do the job and autofocus with those cameras.

...like Canon did from the start...

Ahh... I didn't realize canon has AF motors in all their lenses rather than the bodies. So if I understand you correctly, canon made a new mount in order to communicate with the in-lens focus motor, where nikon decided to throw it in the camera instead of changing their mount? And now nikon's changing their mind...

Well, they are changing their minds on their entry level DSLR cameras where space is an issue. It's debatable whether that will ever migrate to their up-scale cameras.

Ah ok... thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize canon was already in that position. I thought nikon was taking a random step off the path rather than conforming to what might be the new standard.

Really, it's probably not as big of an issue as some people think. If your D40/D60 doesn't have an AF motor, you can still use Nikon's older lenses...you just can't auto focus with them. Nikon does have a decent selection of lenses with AF motors and companies like Sigma, Tamron etc, make lenses with AF motors in the Nikon mount.

I have read in magazines and the internet that sigma and tamron are start fitting many of their lenses with motor to accomodate the d40s and d60s. I assume their move is profitable, and the number of those cameras are large enough to put them in the priority.
Have a look at sigma and tamron websites. Sigma use the letter HSM for their motorized lenses and Tamron using number codes to identify theirs. I don't think tokina has any.

I don't understand why the new nikon releases have no AF motor. My first assumption is that they're planning on slapping focus motors in every new lens they produce, but from these forums alone I can see how much it's hurting their sales.
errrr, nope. :confused: Nikon DSLR sales have skyrocketed past Canon and they now have more market share, mostly fueled by D40 line sales. The people you see on these forums are more the hobbyist/enthusiast type and in no way shape or form represent a typical DSLR buyer these days. The smaller size, lighter weight, and cheapest price on the market has won them tons of new customers. Canon obviously got caught with their pants down, and it took them a full 18-month development cycle to respond with the new EOS 1000D "mini" Rebel that's coming out soon.

I've seen quite a few threads where someone's wanting to buy a new entry level DSLR and they're comparing the D40/D60 to Rebel/XT. In many cases the argument comes in that they're virtually the same, however nikon has no AF motor which will cause problems in the long run. The end result, they choose canon.
Over in the beginner's forum, most seem to be leaning towards the Nikons these days, and as mentioned above, Nikon's sales figures seem to back that up. Canon has much more of a long-term problem than Nikon does because all these people that have been snapping up D40/40x/60's are now in the Nikon camp and will be buying more Nikon lenses, flashes, etc. Most are pretty pleased with their cameras in spite of the lack of the AF motor, and most don't even care. The majority of typical DSLR buyers will find all they need between the 18-55 and 55-200 kit zoom lenses as well. For the most part, only hobbyists and enthusiasts would be interested in the older AF/AF-D style primes that haven't been updated yet, or the vintage glass.

I just don't understand this decision by nikon. Most people getting into photography would start with the lower end cameras, but why remove something that many people find beneficial when the competition hasn't? I still value my D50 over the D40/D60 but since it's discontinued it's hard to recommend it to others.
Because many beginners or just regular people don't value support for older screw driven lenses and would rather pay a lower price for a smaller camera. :)

It hurts their recomendations. I for one would not recommend a D40 or a D60 for anyone looking to make a start in a more serious hobby. Sales wise they are going through the roof simply because of how they are able to undercut the pricing.

The flip side is they are able to lock in the customers to expensive AF-S lenses. Yes older lenses work on the D40, but how many average schmoes are likely to buy a lens they can't use basic autofocus with. They are hooking customers with a cheap starting price and at the same time preventing them on feeding off the second hand market of which there are many good lenses to be had for a bargain if one knows what to look for.

Hobbyists are different from regular people, and most people buying these are regular people. And a lot of the more expensive AF-S lenses have a lot more than just AF-S in them. The 70-300VR in particular has flat out superior optics and blows all other previous 70-300 designs right out of the water in terms of image quality. You still get electronic focus assist on the D40 with any AF/AF-D lens. The AF sensor are still active. Just select the one you want, move the focus ring yourself, and watch for the focus confirmation dot in the lower left. Done. :)

I'm not a D40/40x/60 user, but the only time I would miss the AF motor would be for the 50mm f1.8 or f1.4 lenses. They are good, cheap and afforadable for someone who is looking for cheap yet quality products. Except that, most of the lenses a D40 user would want to buy are equipped with a internal motor. Also, a used D70 is about as much as a new D40, so all the people who are looking a bit more seriously into dSLRs (as somebody called them, hobbyists) have a option for a Nikon entry level camera with a AF drive.

i use my 50mm on the d60 all the time... it's really no trouble... it's not like i'm shooting sports with it.. for common portraiture I have 2 -3 failure per 5 shots at 1.8... this is not bad considering narrow dof.. i just take a lot of shots...

i find it funny how the lack of a.f. is considered a deal breaker..... a lot of people here promote only using manual mode for settings... but run for the hills if the camera can't autofocus.... it's just another thing to learn..

The AF sensor are still active. Just select the one you want, move the focus ring yourself, and watch for the focus confirmation dot in the lower left. Done. :)

Yeah it just doesn't work quite as well as you described. I used this approach for a time on my friends D40 and my own D200 (for AI-S lenses). Both drove me nuts. The craptacular performance is what made me finally buy one of the Katzeye focusing screens for my D200.

Really, it's probably not as big of an issue as some people think. If your D40/D60 doesn't have an AF motor, you can still use Nikon's older lenses...you just can't auto focus with them. Nikon does have a decent selection of lenses with AF motors and companies like Sigma, Tamron etc, make lenses with AF motors in the Nikon mount.

yet the lenses are twice the price of the ones without AF motors

Most reactions

New Topics

Back