Laneway Face

cgw

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Toronto: Kensington Market
Sunday photowalk in an old Toronto 'hood whose laneways and alleys offer graffiti, architectural detail and urban grunge.
Saw natural framing of and leading lines to the face at the far wall. The fence, power pole and distant condo tower limit the space and show emerging new boundaries of a vibrant area under development pressure.
Shoes on the wire hint at gang activity.

Not sure b&w works but see it emphasizing the old construction methods that distinguish the area in a rapidly changing city.
Nearly square format aids framing and enhances composition. Opinions overall welcome.

Fuji X-100T
23mm fixed(35mm equiv) f/5.6 1/100 sec Aperture Priority ISO 320 Natural a.m. light
Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in

View attachment 270307

Last edited:
Hi a suggestion
I enlarged you image until the two black edges L&R were removed.
to me it drew me in more, what do you think

Hi a suggestion
I enlarged you image until the two black edges L&R were removed.
to me it drew me in more, what do you think
Considered it but thought the square format had more impact. Thanks for the effort.

Lots to take in with the photo. I like the space between the pole and the newer building in the back. I like the dark in the foreground and the edges. Framing is perfect. Did you take a few photos moving a foot here and there or was this the first shot? Wondering how you decided on the framing.

Lots to take in with the photo. I like the space between the pole and the newer building in the back. I like the dark in the foreground and the edges. Framing is perfect. Did you take a few photos moving a foot here and there or was this the first shot? Wondering how you decided on the framing.
Cropped from the bland foreground. Saw it initially working as a square. The face caught me first. Favorite dive bar once located here, accessible thru a doorway in the left background. Covid lockdown victim, sadly.
My Ricoh GR II does 1:1 aspect which I love. Wish the Fuji did.

Last edited:
I realize the border edge is a personal choice that many people like, unfortunately I've never been a fan of borders, finding them distracting.

As mentioned by Cheryl, there is a lot to look at here. Your choice of framing with strong leading lines and the central face does a great job of keeping the eye focused.

Initially I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of the processing but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. The grittiness it imparts adds to vibe of the image.

I realize the border edge is a personal choice that many people like, unfortunately I've never been a fan of borders, finding them distracting.

As mentioned by Cheryl, there is a lot to look at here. Your choice of framing with strong leading lines and the central face does a great job of keeping the eye focused.

Initially I'll admit I wasn't a big fan of the processing but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. The grittiness it imparts adds to vibe of the image.
Thanks, smoke665. I often shoot around downtown Toronto with a couple other lost boys who love pinhole, LF film and glass plate and anything else that swallows film. They tolerate me and my digital stuff.
Their results influenced my post choices here--and that iffy border!. It's an interesting and much-loved area we're hoping isn't swept away by impinging redevelopment.

It's an interesting and
Hope it doesn't end up like one of my favorite areas. After my last shoot there they posted No Trespassing signs everywhere. Apparently it was a popular place for others as well.

No trespassing….. emm I’m not iam photographing

Good image! Leading lines takes one's eye straight to the face painting and overall processing I think works VERY well for the photo! Borders can be distracting, but here it really leaves me with no opinion good or bad. But if one can keep the fuzzy edge and lose the white of the border would work well also. The ragged edge adds to the processing for it if I imagine the white gone. Using a .png with a transparent background I think would work well here.

I like this as it stands. To me the border is certainly not essential to the composition but it does seem appropriate for the subject.

Appreciate the comments from those who stopped by. Thanks!

I like the "gritty" effect .

Most reactions

New Topics

Back