Las Vegas at Night...(56K Warning, 13 pics)

NJMAN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These are some pictures I took more than a year ago while in Las Vegas. I was just getting to know my 30D. Took my tripod along on a walk around the strip and took some long exposures. C&C Welcome!

1. Outside the Luxor.
img_0764.jpg

2. Outside Mandalay Bay (obviously)...
img_0767.jpg

img_0769.jpg

img_0771.jpg

5. A view of the strip from on top of the Palms.
img_0842.jpg

6. A view of Mandalay Bay and Luxor from the Palms.
img_0859.jpg

7. I was directly across from this tower in the other identical Palms tower.
img_0860.jpg

8. Inside the Venetian.
img_0874.jpg

9. During one of the short concerts inside the Venetian marketplace.
img_0877.jpg

10. In the Venetian lobby. Again, these are all long exposures on a tripod.
img_0908.jpg

11. Outside the Bellagio. The water show was going on.
img_0939.jpg

12. During the water show at the Bellagio again.
img_0952.jpg

13. Calm water at the Bellagio after the water show.
img_0954.jpg

Amazing night shots; gotta love long exposure.:thumbup:

Love em. I like the long exposure blurry people photos.
Photos like that always seem to convey the "ants living in a busy world" type message.

Thanks for the comments Stan and DSLR! :D

Photos like that always seem to convey the "ants living in a busy world" type message.

I agree too. I dont particularly care for all the hustle and bustle of society, but it sometimes makes for interesting photos. ;)

Thanks again for looking and commenting. Appreciated!

NJ

I like several of them but particularly liked #10 I need to really sit down and learn how to do night shots.

Fascinating contrast to my take on the town. :)

I like several of them but particularly liked #10 I need to really sit down and learn how to do night shots.

Hi rprimeau,
No secrets here. If you want to take good night shots, all you need to do is set your aperture narrow to about f/22 or greater, then look at your exposure meter when you focus and set your shutter speed for the correct exposure. The narrow aperture will ensure that you get a sharp image. Depending on the amount of light there is outside, the shutter speed could be anywhere from 2 seconds to as long as 30 seconds or more. Give it a try. :) As for the indoor shot on #10, again I narrowed the aperture and slowed down the shutter to give the people a sense of motion. I cant remember what the settings were though. The shutter speed was probably around 10 seconds for that one. Thanks for your comments! :)

Fascinating contrast to my take on the town. :)

Thanks abraxas. I did notice your take on the grainy side of Vegas. I visit family there twice a year, and I have seen that side as well. Its very true and you captured it well. I was walking in some of those very same spots not more than 2 weeks ago. One of the more disturbing things to me is the card snappers that stand there and wait for guys to walk by, hoping that someone will take one. Thanks for commenting on my post. :)

Whoa, there's two towers at the Palms now?

We stayed at the Palms for our honeymoon in 2002 and haven't made it back since.

One thing that will always stick with me from that trip is the constant snapping of those guys with the fliers. I just wanted to see a city bus go careening out of control and mow down a dozen or so of them working within steps of each other.

Really nice shots! It must have been a nice trip :D

Whoa, there's two towers at the Palms now?

We stayed at the Palms for our honeymoon in 2002 and haven't made it back since.

One thing that will always stick with me from that trip is the constant snapping of those guys with the fliers. I just wanted to see a city bus go careening out of control and mow down a dozen or so of them working within steps of each other.

Yep, 2 towers at the Palms. I was on the top where they have a bar and lounge area outside. It was really windy that night... hot dry wind.

I just wanted to see a city bus go careening out of control and mow down a dozen or so of them working within steps of each other.

I agree...

Carlos Cané;976918 said:
Really nice shots! It must have been a nice trip :D

Thanks Carlos. Yes, it was a very nice trip, thanks! :)

Awesome pictures, I love #11 and #12. I miss Vegas, last time I was there was February 2003, it was my birthday.

Most reactions

Back