• Live view shooter

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Slaphead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've often wondered why I've found certain controls such as the exposure lock or the D-pad difficult to operate while framing a shot and asking myself why the hell they dont design the cameras better. Last night I realised that the cameras are perfectly designed - for use with the right eye, which is a shame because I'm left eye dominant (even though I'm right handed), and therefore I frame shots with my left eye.

This means that the controls are sitting right over the right side of my face making them difficult to reach while still looking through the viewfinder.

Anybody else have the same problem?

I've done a quick poll as well but I feel that I already know the results.

My camera seems that it would be equally easy to access the controls no matter what eye you're using to look through the view finder.

I can't vote in this poll. The reason is because I am a left eye shooter. But it's not the fact that I can't use the controls on my camera because I'm using my left eye, I can still get to the buttons easily enough (all my controls are on buttons on the back of the camera). My problem is, I am sick and tired of my freakin nose changing settings, mainly the macro button (small superzoom camera). Thus, I am trying to use my right eye, but it seems more natural to use my left.

So, until I can get myself to use the right eye completely, I can't say which one I use.

I usually put it to my left eye, and at the moment my nose hits the macro button and the camera zooms back out just before I take a shot is when I start ranting and raving and remember to switch over to my right eye.

I generally shoot with my lefy eye which is a pain is it means all I can see with the right is the back of the camera. Sometimes I do shift to right eye shooting so that I can have my left eye viewing the scene a bit larger and since I tend to rely on auto focus this is possible. When I shoot macro and am on manual its always the left eye!

As for controls my left hand always supports the lens barrel and my right controls the camera - funny I have never had the desire to reverse this holding method - except at the end of a long day when my left arm wants to fall off ;)

I force myself to shoot left eye when I realize I have not been keeping both eyes open & relaxed... somehow it is a great reminder for me when I switch over to the spare.

-Shea

Ive never thought about it but I do shoot with my left eye. Probaly because I have problems closing just one eye, and 3 of my 4 cameras have the viewfinder on the left and My 4th Has it in the middle (Its an SLR)

I shoot with my left eye. Left eye is dominate is common for right handed people and considered normal, BTW. I have merely a fraction of the controls many people here have and they are specifically designed to right hand dominance, so no I have no issues with controlls on my primary SLR.

I have however reasently encountered an issue with teaching my GF photography elements. She is a left hand dominate....her holding an SLR is amazingly difficult for her even with the fraction of controls in comparison to yall here.

im left eye dominant (right handed), i also shoot with both eyes open. i have no problem with the exposure lock and what not. i can reach the controls just dandy

Right eye here. Must admit I never thought of shooting left eyed. I'm right handed, but also semi-dexterous: can't write left handed but can us some tools and the like left handed.

wait I am left handed - so does that mean I should be right eyed?

if so then I think I am breaking a rule somewhere...

I'm left-eye dominant and was OVERJOYED when I upgraded to the D90, which has a control lock that prevents my nose from accidentally hitting buttons (did not have that feature on D60 and I often changed focus points....urgh).

No issues now, shoot left-eyed and it's a better world.

You know, some people don't know what eye is dominant or even that they have a dominant eye. I am right handed and right eyed so I never have a problem with changing settings. Guess I am lucky...hm not really.;)

You know, some people don't know what eye is dominant or even that they have a dominant eye. I am right handed and right eyed so I never have a problem with changing settings. Guess I am lucky...hm not really.;)
One one of those... Using my right eye just seems natural. Any way to "test" which one is dominant?

I use both my left and my right eye, although more on the left. I'd say about 65/35 L/R

Most reactions

Back