Leica 1958 m2 for sale sr#948

1958m2 said:
I'm in Columbia South Carolina trying to get some pictures on here for you I believe there was only 200 of these cameras made

According to this Wiki devoted to the M2 Leica, there were 200 M2 cameras made in 1957, and then the following year in 1958, there were 2,000 black finished M2 models made, plus another 2,000 M2 variants with the smaller window, and also an additional 2,500 chrome finish M2 Leicas were made in 1958. So...the 1958 production was 6,500 M2 models in total, with counts of 2,000, 2000, and 2,500.

Between 1957 and 1970 there were a total of 93,000 M2's manufactured. M2 - Leica Wiki (English)

According to this same Wiki, the "on the street" value of an average M2 in 2015 is..... On the street - €EU 850 in 2015

Unless this camera was owned by a celebrity, or has rock-solid provenance that ties it to something historical, the price of $18,000 US dollars for this common camera seems unrealistic to me. Unless this was,say, Dwight Eisenhower's camera, or George Patton's camera, or Elvis's camera, then it's probably not going to bring a large sum, even in great condition.
Leica Serial Numbers: M's Sorted by Type
According to your little chart, there were 500 made. Not that it would make it anywhere NEAR what you're asking.
1958m2 said:
I'm in Columbia South Carolina trying to get some pictures on here for you I believe there was only 200 of these cameras made

According to this Wiki devoted to the M2 Leica, there were 200 M2 cameras made in 1957, and then the following year in 1958, there were 2,000 black finished M2 models made, plus another 2,000 M2 variants with the smaller window, and also an additional 2,500 chrome finish M2 Leicas were made in 1958. So...the 1958 production was 6,500 M2 models in total, with counts of 2,000, 2000, and 2,500.

Between 1957 and 1970 there were a total of 93,000 M2's manufactured. M2 - Leica Wiki (English)

According to this same Wiki, the "on the street" value of an average M2 in 2015 is..... On the street - €EU 850 in 2015

Unless this camera was owned by a celebrity, or has rock-solid provenance that ties it to something historical, the price of $18,000 US dollars for this common camera seems unrealistic to me. Unless this was,say, Dwight Eisenhower's camera, or George Patton's camera, or Elvis's camera, then it's probably not going to bring a large sum, even in great condition.

This is a solid black body look on ebay and see what these are selling for with the serial numbers starting with 948 for all you camera aficionados out there

Attachments

• 14471249491391645558626.jpg
    14471249491391645558626.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 224
Good luck, unkess it is a rare very good condition black one and then it is worth about £4000 in UK if you are lucky

That chart or any info. from Cameraquest is usually reliable, and Gary's pricing seems to be comparable to the value in the US for many Leicas of that era.

I found a couple of listings by major auction houses for black M2s from that year and range of serial numbers, and the actual selling price seemed to vary.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22252/lot/729/ The Fine Leica Centenary Sale Nov. 2014
WestLicht Photographica Auction: Past Auctions '100 YEARS OF LEICA' May 2014
In an auction it could depend on what buyers were there, how much was bid, etc. but I'm not sure why the pricing for this particular camera might be so different (unless the exchange rate I used was off or one was a rare version of the camera).

I think a camera of significant value should probably be appraised and possibly put in auction to know what you have and what it's worth.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell what it is they are buying from that picture?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That chart or any info. from Cameraquest is usually reliable, and Gary's pricing seems to be comparable to the value in the US for many Leicas of that era.

I found a couple of listings by major auction houses for black M2s from that year and range of serial numbers, and the actual selling price seemed to vary.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22252/lot/729/ The Fine Leica Centenary Sale Nov. 2014
WestLicht Photographica Auction: Past Auctions '100 YEARS OF LEICA' May 2014
In an auction it could depend on what buyers were there, how much was bid, etc. but I'm not sure why the pricing for this particular camera might be so different (unless the exchange rate I used was off or one was a rare version of the camera).

I think a camera of significant value should probably be appraised and possibly put in auction to know what you have and what it's worth.
Agreed! The only problem I see is asking people for $18,000 and providing a single photo.

Before spending that kind of money, I would personally want it to be checked to make sure it wasn't a fraud/forgery.

Agreed! The only problem I see is asking people for $18,000 and providing a single photo.

Before spending that kind of money, I would personally want it to be checked to make sure it wasn't a fraud/forgery.
For that kind of money I would want it fully restored.

By an authorized Leica repair facility.

With paperwork.

For that kind of money I would want it fully restored.

By an authorized Leica repair facility.

With paperwork.
Even with that, is it that good of a camera? If so, I am curious to why? I hate to say this but a guy in my camera club has M2 or M7 and he is all about it, bragging big time... Oh, he won't let me hold it either. However, at the end of the day, a Lady there has an Olympus 35RC and her photo's throw his under the bus. I don't get all the hype but I am a noob. I just seen Lenny Kravitz uses Leica's, so they must be phenomenal.

P.S. you know your a noob when you join a camera club and your the only one who can't touch and stroke a Leica.[emoji31]

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Do you want to give it a single stroke or a double stroke? lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back