Lens choice?

bonnieml

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need some guidance and perhaps assurance that yes, this is good or no, not a good way to go. First, let me thank all the kind,patient and passionate photographers who lend their expertise here. I have been reading many posts learning. I am a nurse who needed a new passion in my life, a creative one. Photography has been in my heart a long time.Time to let it out. Well onto the questions.
I recently purchased a Canon EOS 40D. I love it but realize the kit lens has its limitations(28-135) The 3 lenses that I am looking at are:
Canon EF 50 F/1.4 and either the Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L or Canon EF 16-35 F/2.8L. Any better ideas?
What do I enjoy shooting? Inside/outside group or single of my family/grandbabies, hiking,travel,landscapes , street/candid.
I realize the expense....it's ok. Unfortunately nursing always has "customers" Again thank you for your help and patience. Any other advice or comments are welcome. Bonnie

I think if you get the 50mm and either the 17-40 or the 16-35 (depending on the budget and how much weight you are willing to carry), then you will be well prepared for landscape and interior shots.

you do not have an ultrawide angle then, but unless you really feel you need 12mm or less, you should be happy with 16 or 17.

the setup will lack a bit on the long end, I personally would get a 300mm prime or something similar for wildlife and sports and also for street photography if you are after faces.

I would maybe rent each lens and see which fits best into your photographic style. Investing a few dollars before you spend a lot might not be a bad idea. As far as grandbaby shooting, when I shoot kids a lot of time I use my 70-200 2.8L lets you be unobtrusive and really get right in there with them. And when they don't think they are being watched is when their personalties really come out.

What limitations are you seeing in your current lens? Not enough wide-angle? Not enough zoom? Larger aperature? Image quality? By the choices you are looking at, I presume wide-angle and image quality.
The 50mm f/1.4 is a great choice for a fast prime lens. Very sharp and compact. Great for low-light and portraits.
The EF 17-40 f/4 L is a good lens. Sharp and relatively cheap for an L-class of lens. Only knock is that it is an f/4.
The EF 16-35 f/2.8 L is an awesome piece of glass. Replaced it's predecessor with improved optics and edge performance. On a crop sensor it effectively becomes a 25-56mm. Not the widest in the world, but it was intended for a full-frame camera. The EF-S 10-22 on the other hand was designed for crop cameras and is a true 16-35mm equivalent. Really good lens if you are looking for really wide shots.
If you seriously want to upgrade performance and wide range, that would be my choice since it does give you the wider option over the EF 16-35. (sounds almost sacreliges picking against an L lens) :mrgreen: Take the savings in price and get a flash and bouncer if you do not already have one.
Bring your camera to the store and try them out if you can. And if you ever want to ditch the stock lens and upgrade to better glass on that, the consensus is usually the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 24-70 f/2.8 L or EF 24-105 f/4 L IS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back