Lens compatibility

snark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently acquired a Nikon D-90 camera with three lenses, my first digital camera. Two of the lenses fit the camera. They are identified as Nikon ED AF Nikkor 55mm and 70-300mm. The mount on the other is different and the information on it is VR Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.35-5.6 GED. Do I need an adapter for this lens?

I recently acquired a Nikon D-90 camera with three lenses, my first digital camera. Two of the lenses fit the camera. They are identified as Nikon ED AF Nikkor 55mm and 70-300mm. The mount on the other is different and the information on it is VR Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-105mm 1.35-5.6 GED. Do I need an adapter for this lens?
I'm not familiar with the D90, but what does the User's Manual say about G lenses? See under "Compatible Lenses."

I didn't get a manual with it, so I googled up "Nikon G" lens and found that it is newer than the D90, so I don't guess compatibility would be addressed in the D90 manual anyhow. With no aperture ring though, it does not look like a G would be compatible. I guess I will list it on Ebay and look for something similar with an F mount. Thanks for the help!

Thanx, cgw. Yup, as I suspected, not compatible. Wonder why it was in the camera bag with all the other D90 and AF lens stuff. I just bought a Nikon AF Nikkor 24-50mm f/3.3-4.5 lens for cheap on Ebay so here we go...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
nikon_afs_dx_nikkor_18_105mm_f_35_56_g_ed_vr_review_8c9cd6ffa9b02044a7a3327bc82c5649.jpg
If this is the lens you're referring to, it's fully compatible with the D90, as it was released with the D90 as a kit lens.

I am REALLY new to this, so thanks in advance for your patience . The lens you've pictured is the one to which I referred. It does not have an aperture ring as do the other lenses in the kit I bought, and the mount is different so it will not affix to the camera body is something missing?) Attached is a photo of both. The one on the right mounts properly, the one on the left does not. Before I put this lens up for sale, what am I missing?

Attachments

• IMG_5121.JPG
    IMG_5121.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 6
After a whole afternoon of puzzling and dinking around with this, I realized that the lens I am having a problem with is damaged, thus it will not mount properly. Thanks to you guys for helping lead me along.

After a whole afternoon of puzzling and dinking around with this, I realized that the lens I am having a problem with is damaged, thus it will not mount properly. Thanks to you guys for helping lead me along.
Looking at your photo, yes,it looks like the plastic mount has been damaged,however these are available so it could be repaired, there's a few YouTube videos out there, the part is pretty cheap to purchase.

Last edited:
Looking at your photo, yes,it looks like the plastic mount has been damaged,however these are available so it could be repaired, there's a few YouTube videos out there, the part is pretty cheap to purchase.

Well, a week after I started looking for a new lens I got back on the forum and saw your post. Thanks a million. You just saved me a ton of $$. I found the repair part on Ebay for eight bucks. Thanks again...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back