Lens Decision

I have read reviews were people talk of being able to rent lenses. Is that mostly with a camera store that has the option to rent a lens. Is there any online stores that do that?

Also about the converter. If I get the 70-200 and use the converter for air shows and zoo stuff, how much sharpness will I lose.

Thanks.

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/400v400.shtml

compares the 70-200mm and the 2* teleconverter with the 100-400mm at the 400mm end.

There is not too much between the 2, but the 100-400 does on average perform slightly better, which is to be expected. However one thing I have overlooked saying is this; my own choice to go for the 70-200mm and use teleconverters is because I do intend to get primes at the longer focal ranges so I am not as pressured to get to the 400mm end. If you are really after a single expensive lens I would say the 100-400 might be the best way to go plus a good flash unit to cope with indoor work.

Thanks for your help Overread, you have been very helpful.

I have pretty much tossed the 100-400 out. I do not really want to have to lug that around all day. I am looking at the EF 300 or I will get the 70-200 with the converter.

No, it allows you to handhold longer. It doesn't help capture moving subjects in low light.

It doesn't actually give you more stops, but it effectively does. Allows you to handhold better, thus letting you use slower shutter speeds, which is similar to letting more light in. Just ask around and read.

Oops, lemme rephrase that. The stuff about more effective stops is true, but you are correct in saying that it won't stop the fast moving subjects, since you use a slower shutter speed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back