Lens for College

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ZyCzech, Jul 13, 2007.

1. ZyCzech

ZyCzech TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey Everyone.

I'm new to this forum, so all of your help is appreciated...

I'm preparing to leave for college this fall and I need a new lens for my Canon 10D.

In college I plan on shooting a wide variety of things for the newspaper, digital photography class, etc. I'm sure this will include sports, parties, and whatever else comes my way, but I don't want to haul around a ton of lenses.

Right now I have a Tamron 19-35mm that works great for my wide angle needs.

I'm looking to buy a lens that will pick up where my Tamron leaves off, and hopefully pay no more than 500$.

My questions are:

If I buy a 70-200mm will I regret having the gap between my two lenses?
    Would 28-135mm have enough zoom for sports?
    And, would I be wasting my money buying a consumer 28-200mm all purpose lens?

Thanks again,
    ZyCzech

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

That is a pretty useful range that you would be missing out on. Nothing a 50mm F1.8 couldn't fix though.

That depends on the sport and where you are shooting from. However, That lens probably won't have a large enough aperture for shooting sports in less than perfect light.

That's a personal choice...my opinion would be yes. Save your money and spend it on F2.8 zoom lenses or prime lenses. You will most likely never regret buying a faster lens....and you will quite often regret it, if you don't.

3. ZyCzech

ZyCzech TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is there anything that you would recommend then, that will keep me under five hundred dollars?

Thanks, Mike.

4. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The canon ef 70-200 f/4 L would run about $550-$600. An excellent lens and a steal at that price.