Lens options, hypothetically speaking

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bahandi, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bahandi

bahandi TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    To make it short, which lens would you buy in this situation, and why? I'm trying to figure out in my mind how to "prioritize" criteria in lens buying. All prices in Canadian dollars. Lenses are Canon mounts.

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG MACRO - $800(used)

Canon 70-200 F4 (I'm assuming L) - $600(used)

Canon EF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 IS USM - $840 new

Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III USM - $250 new

assuming that the extra zoom isn't a huge issue.

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is it that you like to shoot? The extra 100mm can make a VERY large difference.

3. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Like icassell said, what do you like to shoot? That'll make a huge difference in your purchase. Defeintely do your research and read reviews. Also, find out which one is going to be the greater steal and the most useful to you. You need to find that magic lens, it's versatile and didn't give you a heartattack while you were paying for it.

4. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The way I look at it any time someone asks what lens they should get: it all depends on what you shoot and what you need. Personally, I have 18-200mm covered (nikon 18-55 VR and 55-200 VR), as well as a fast prime 50. While they're nothing real special and are slow, I wanted to make sure I at least had a good variety covered, and now that I do, I won't buy any more lenses until I can step up to better and faster stuff. If I could afford it right now, I'd buy myself a [Nikon] 70-200 f/2.8 in a heartbeat.

Would you rather have a slow 75-300mm lens now for cheaper, and then upgrade to something nice later on, or save up and get a faster lens right off the bat? Also, depending on what you shoot, you might really need that extra 100mm. I chose to go the first route.

5. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Ooooh, me too.

6. GFreg

GFreg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    May I suggest renting a 70-300mm from somewhere like BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

If you do this then you will see how much you like the extra 100mm. I have always had a good experience with that site and they tend to have a good selection. There are other similar sites. Hmmm...just reread your post and saw "Canadian dollars." My Sherlock Holmes like ability to deduce tells me that you are, in fact, in Canada. I don't know if BorrowLenses ships to Canada but there is another site that is based out of Canada. The name escapes me at the moment.

7. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

This is an excellent suggestion. Borrow or rent to see what works for you.

8. Nikkor

Nikkor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Borrowing is always awesome. Unforuantely, most of my friend are getting into photography now that I've introduced them to it. And none of them have any good toys yet. Haha.

9. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Renting I think works very well when you're picking out lenses that are well into the $1000 price range or if you have a budget which is higher than the amount the lenses cost and its a case of getting the perfect tool for the job. However I think if your budget is not that high then its better to test in a shop environment rather than rent - otherwise the cost of renting will be a significant impact into your planned spending budget.

As for which lens again we really need to know what you shoot - the 70-200mm options I would expect to give you better image quality over that range - however if your after animals/wildlife the 300mm options might be the better bet (though both 70-200mm lenses mentioned should be easily able to take a 1.4TC for added range, it is additional cost for that 1.4TC - I do not have any idea how the lenses would compare up though image quality wise in this case)

10. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I was choosing between those I would go with the canon 70-200 f4L its supposed to be one of the best lens canon makes. I have the 75-300 the cheapo one that was $300 and I never use it due to the sharpness of the lens is horrible at 300 and ok at 200. That is just my experience with that lens.

11. t00sl0w

t00sl0w TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i just found out my wife is buying the the 70-200 f4L for xmas....we are ordering tomorrow from B&H....yay! cant wait!!

12. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    70-200 f4