Lens recommendation - D7200

Avengerx77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be moving from a D3300 to a D7200 and I purchased the one that comes with the 18-140mm VR lens. I am wondering which other lenses I could get to complement the kit lens. I am selling the kit lens that came with the D3300 (18-55mm and 50-200mm), but not sure if the new lens that comes with my D7200 will pretty much cover the two lens I previously had. Thoughts?

In my mind, I still want to buy the 105mm macro lens, but still not sure to pay the $800 price tag, besides the fact that it is prime and will not be able to zoom, but I guess that I can get away with 18-140mm lens. I eventually will want to shoot macro, but since I am relatively a begginer, still thinking that maybe I can use that money to buy some other equipment (softbox, reflector, etc) and attend some photography workshops.

My recommendation, get the 7200 and the new lens, then stop. Practice, shoot, figure out what you like to shoot and what your current lens selection really doesn't do for you, then think about what you might want in your next lens. Base it off of filling an actual need rather than anything else.

The 18-140 is good. For me it would probably do in place of the other two.

You don't need to spend 800 to get a good macro, check out the sigma 105 OS and tamrons previous 90 mm vc USD, along with previous versions of each that don't have any stabilization, alternative but a good 50mm prime, and a set of macro tubes that do autofocus ( not that you need af, but you want to have electronic control)

The Nikon 1.8g primes(35-50-85mm) are all winners. I have them all and can't see buying a kit-grade zoom.

For macro, who needs AF? Since the D7200 can meter with AI-AIs lenses, take a look at the older Nikon manual focus 105mm Micro Nikkors(either F2.8 or F4 models) or Ai versions of the 55/2.8 or 55/3.5. Older Tamron 90mm manual macros are also good. The 60mm f2.8 AFD Micro Nikkor is another possibility and widely available used. The Nikon 40/2.8g Micro Nikkor is very affordable and doubles as a slightly long normal lens on the D7200. Recently got one and find it very sharp with nice bokeh.

Or there's really good reviews on the tokina 100 macro
Many options.
Maybe to many

Thanks everyone for your input.

My recommendation, get the 7200 and the new lens, then stop. Practice, shoot, figure out what you like to shoot and what your current lens selection really doesn't do for you, then think about what you might want in your next lens. Base it off of filling an actual need rather than anything else.

Very good advice, I think I will slow down and focus first in understanding composition and lightning before moving on to buy additional stuff that I might regret later :encouragement:

Thanks everyone for your input.

Very good advice, I think I will slow down and focus first in understanding composition and lightning before moving on to buy additional stuff that I might regret later :encouragement:

Well as far as lenses go you have thousands of choices, so best to get an idea as to what it is you like to shoot and what your current lens really doesn't do that well before picking up more lenses. If you are planning on doing Macro I usually recommend you start with something used and preferably inexpensive when possible, a lot of people end up buying an expensive macro lens only to discover they really don't get into macro quite the way they thought they would.

But shoot with what you have for a while, and then see what your current lens doesn't offer - if you decide you need more reach, for example, a 70-300 mm might be a good choice, or maybe even a serious telephoto like a 150-600. You might find what you really need is better lowlight, if so something in an F/2.8 might be in order.

Sky is pretty much the limit really.. :)

I agree with the gorilla ;-) I have the same combination and I know that I'm limited in what I shoot (birds etc). But the 18-140 is a good lens, and I will probably be only lens for at least another 8-12 months.

extension tubes for macro are great and will probably work well on any lens... here is a photo i took with the tubes on one of my lenses.

playing with extension tubes20151217-DSC_6927 by Daniel Caldwell, on Flickr

Zeikos ZE-CVAFN Auto Focus Macro Extension Tubes for Nikon are the ones i got on amazon. price on them was not bad either from what i remember.. way less money than buying a macro lens..

I have the 7200 and the 18-140mm is on my camera 95% of the time even though I have several other lenses.

Dave

There's only one answer to the question, "What lens should I get?" and that's "What do you want to shoot?"

Your post doesn't tell anything about that, so answers about what lens to get are like throwing darts at a map to find out where your vacation's going to be: completely random.

my main lenses are the 24-70 f2.8 vc tamron then the sigma 150-600 contemp and then the nikon 50mm 1.8g

extension tubes for macro are great and will probably work well on any lens... here is a photo i took with the tubes on one of my lenses.
Whow talk about intensive CAs indeed. What lens has such a poor performance ?!?

Whow talk about intensive CAs indeed. What lens has such a poor performance ?!?
Agree. Not all lenses take to tubes equally well. CA issues, DOF control and anything but flat field rendering make the case for dedicated macro lenses. Magnification isn't everything--obviously.

I have that lens on my D7200, it is ok for general stuff, not very sharp and has a marked ' softness at both edges, top to bottom is not as bad. Not very happy with it so am looking for some prime lenses that can take a sharp, clear photograph. May be Ziess or Leica MF.

Most reactions

Back