Lensatic Compass

Discussion in 'Commercial/Product photography' started by Josh66, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    70-200 f/4L @ 98mm & f/5.6, 0.6 sec, ISO 100.

2. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anything?

Thought about doing this with a topographic map as the background, would that have been better?
    (Now that I think about it, it probably would have been better. I'll try it in a few days.)

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Love it! Nice light. Enjoy the woodland pattern. Try the map, but they are generally a little obvious and sometimes confusing. I wold like to see one with a stronger DOF. Maybe ƒ 11 or higher.

Love & Bass

4. saycheese76

saycheese76 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice shot. Do you think it would look better if you rotated things around so the needle was pointing to 12o'clock? In other words don't change the composition, just rotate the whole shot. I have one of those. You can beat the crap out of them and they stay dead accurate.

5. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Yeah, I guess a map is pretty obvious - I'll try it anyway though. I'll stop down a little more too.

Thanks. I thought of that, but I wasn't sure where it should be pointing so I just let it fall where ever it happened to be.

EDIT
    Just had a better idea. Instead of rotating the entire setup, I could just slip a small piece of metal under the fabric - the needle will point to that.
    I might try it positioned how it is now, but make the needle point straight up. (I think that's the same thing you said, but it will be easier using the metal to attract the needle to the desired position.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I might try to do an HDR type image of this, so you can see the glow from the tritium vials. I don't think I'll be able to do that with one image.

I'll do one with the lights on, then one with the lights off. Combining them will be completely new for me...

7. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    I used a piece of metal hidden under the fabric to point the needle.
    Combination of two images, combined in GIMP. It was way easier than I thought it would be. Once I figured out what the hell I was doing, it was done with just a few clicks.

...I think GIMP stripped the exif. It was 50mm, f/11, 3.2 sec (the exposure for the tritium vials was 30 seconds, in the dark).

I think I like the light better in the first one (I tried a different setup for this one)... I'll have to play around and see if it can be saved, or if another reshoot is in order.

8. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I like the original set up better. Not sure the lit W & E add to the shot. Kind of distracting

)'(

9. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll tone the opacity (of the 'tritium layer') down and see if that looks better. I see what you're saying, but I do like being able to see the two vials on the lid. I'll play with it and see what I can come up with.

What do you think about the needle, does it really matter where it's pointing?
    I'm undecided on that one...

10. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    I reworked it a little in GIMP, is this version better?

They're glowing just enough for you to know that they glow, but not so much that it's distracting (or is it?).

Craig, when you say that you like the original set up better - do you mean everything (background, light, composition...), or were you just refering to the glowing?

I think I prefer the background of the second one (the shape of it), but I think the light was much better in the first one.

Thanks.

11. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The "better" photo up is really good. Excellent light on the compass. The background is a little haphazard. I think it could of been spread out better. Can you try a 2 light set up? One hitting the subject and one hitting the background?

In any case. Love your commitment to this shot and your work is strong. As we discuss this you will find it is an excellent way to learn.

Love & Bass

12. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Both of these had two lights, although both (in both photos) were on the compass, didn't think of having one just for the background. #1 had one camera right and one above. #2 & 3 (same photo, #3 is just an edit of #2) had one upper left and one right.
    I will re-shoot this tomorrow after work, I have a few ideas (different backgrounds, better light) - and I am listening to your advise.

I tried to make the background in the second one more 'dynamic' (...can't think of a better word), but maybe I just made it too busy. I will try to smooth it out better. (I thought the shadows from the folds would add to it, but I think I might just have too much going on.)

I don't think there's much else I can do for the positioning of the compass (there are a few other ideas I have - but I don't have the additional accessories I would need), I just need to get the background and light down.

Some minor nitpicks...
    Needle - Where to point it?
    Lanyard - I've been making it go out of frame, then back in; good idea or bad?

Thanks for all of your help.

EDIT
    (didn't want to bump it just for this quick comment.)
    Still haven't done the re-shoot. I've been working a lot and I just don't feel like messing around with this after work right now...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009