Lensbaby madness!! (part 1)

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so on my birthday I got a Lensbaby 2.0 and had to run out to try it immediately. :mrgreen: As usual when I need to get somewhere of visual interest in a hurry, I headed out to Oakland Cemetery.

The Lensbaby is fun, though it takes a bit of getting used to. I shot mostly at f5.6, with a couple of f4's here and there. Fun stuff! :)

These were all shot with Tri X 400. This is the only print I've made so far. Some extra burning in around the edges.

584-BenchatOakland-lensbaby.jpg

And these are just scans from the contact sheet, so excuse the poor quality. I kept the image size small so they wouldn't break apart.

This was taken in what is called the "Eastern European Orthodox" section of the cemetery, where there are mainly Jewish families buried here.

584-Headstonehands-lensbaby.jpg

Another one from that section. She lost her head!

584-Headlessstatue-lensbaby.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll put a few more up in a bit. :)

The first one is stunning! :thumbup:

Welcome to the cult! :)

These are really awesome Terri, I just bought one too and though I havent had much time to play with it yet this is helping to inspire!

EXcellent captures terri. Great subject.:D I found the lensbaby tough at first, trying to find the "sweet spot" But some of the effects are really cool.
Ya did great with these. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chiller said:
EXcellent captures terri. Great subject.:D I found the lensbaby tough at first, trying to find the "sweet spot" But some of the effects are really cool.
Ya did great with these. :thumbup: :thumbup:
bwahahahaha, I was hoping you'd see these, Chiller! If you ever wandered into Oakland Cemetery, you might not come out for......days. ;) I'm happy you like them. Need to get the other ones posted.

Thank you, Uncle Dan! :mrgreen:

Becky: prepare to be hooked. ;) Advice: play with it a little while at home to get the feel of manuvering the lens before you head out.

Photogal, I blame Karalee for this, too. :lol: She put up some awesome pictures and I knew there was no turning back for me!

JonMikal said:
what...no crows?

:lmao: :lmao: I can bet.. Sir Raymond is gonna grab a shot of a crow real soon...with that new lens.

I gotta get back to the cemetery with my lensbaby. The weather here has been so ....grey. That cemetery looks amazing. Lookin forward to more shots.

Great shots Terri. That first one makes your head spin! I'm gonna have to get one, just for the holga-esque rawness. Is it easy to see through and everything?

Rob

Rob said:
Great shots Terri. That first one makes your head spin! I'm gonna have to get one, just for the holga-esque rawness. Is it easy to see through and everything?

Rob
Absolutely. It's much smaller than I thought it would be, but as you can see there is nothing wrong with those optics. :thumbup:

It's a bit of a shock to put the camera up to your eye and get nothing but a blur at first. ;) You'll quickly get the feel for how best to hold your camera, so you can keep a few fingers available to gently focus by drawing back on the lens, decide on your composition, then decide where you want to place that "sweet spot". For instance, on the headless statue up there, I also took one where the sweet spot is around the shoulder area, which is a completely different look than this one.

Changing apertures was fast and easy, though quite the manual process.

It took me a few minutes to work on every shot, but I imagine I'll get quicker. ;) Totally fun!

Thanks for the comments! :)

Great images Terri ! I'm glad your liking your LB, it's hard to get back on a level plane after playing with it... is'nt it? Love the bw graveyard shots and that baby adds life to it... well, kinda, it's a graveyard.

Most reactions

Back