Let me know what you think.

cletusjermal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got a canon 5d mark ii and went to the beach the other day to test it out. I am a beginner so any tips are appreciated. I was using the 24-105 EF L lens with IS. Here are a few pics.

050-1-3.jpg

048-1.jpg

042-1-1.jpg

Apparently you were never told that a beginner should not use a 5dMII.

In the "Official Canon Beginner's Photography Manual" it states that as a beginner you are required to use a 5d. It further states that if you have purchased a 5dMII without this knowledge, you need to quickly and without hesitation swap it out with a 5d. I can help you with that part! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to have the 5dMII! Appreciate it. In all seriousness, I would say it is not a "beginner" camera. And I would be very careful with it on the beach.

The shots seem rather "snapshot" like to me. Keep it up.. shoot, shoot, shoot!

well he did say he was just going to test it out since he just got it, so keep that in mind before you go too rough.

exposure wise they are pretty good, i like the color, and atleast ur horizon is pretty straight. not bad overall.

once you get the hang of it and have some time, get out and make photos. think of ways to make your subject stand out, try new angles, etc. i know here you were just taking pictures to see how it did, so next time head out w/ a mission!

goodluck, keep posting

I really REALLY REALLY miss the sun. A lot.

Keep shooting. Look at pictures you like, and try and emulate them, sort of like learning to play guitar by covering songs of favorite musicians.

...and lemme know if you find any octopus, I have a need.

I just got a canon 5d mark ii and went to the beach the other day to test it out. I am a beginner so any tips are appreciated. I was using the 24-105 EF L lens with IS. Here are a few pics.

They're all pretty dull and flat looking, plus your horizons are off in all but one. Are you shooting RAW and are you doing any post work? Bump up the contrast, sharpen them a bit, and adjust curves and such and you could really turn them up a notch.

Number 2 is the most interesting. Like them all right now though in the middle of winter. :)

Apparently you were never told that a beginner should not use a 5dMII.

In the "Official Canon Beginner's Photography Manual" it states that as a beginner you are required to use a 5d. It further states that if you have purchased a 5dMII without this knowledge, you need to quickly and without hesitation swap it out with a 5d. I can help you with that part! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would love to have the 5dMII! Appreciate it. In all seriousness, I would say it is not a "beginner" camera. And I would be very careful with it on the beach.

The shots seem rather "snapshot" like to me. Keep it up.. shoot, shoot, shoot!

I figured if i got it now i wouldnt have to upgrade later. I have been deployed for the military the past 5 months and it was my deployment present to myself. :D

They're all pretty dull and flat looking, plus your horizons are off in all but one. Are you shooting RAW and are you doing any post work? Bump up the contrast, sharpen them a bit, and adjust curves and such and you could really turn them up a notch.
What do you mean when you say the horizon is off in all of them? I have done a little reading about the composition of pics and unerstand dividing the pic up into the thirds. If you where taking the pic would you have moved the horison up some more? They are all in JPEG and unmodified. I have a RAW copy of them but for file size i uploaded the JPEG. Here is a pic i took tonight. I didnt have my tripod with me so im gonna go back tomorrow night and try to get some more pics. How would you guys compose this pic. Should i offset the tower more? I think it may look good with a high ISO. What do you all think? What tips do you all have for when i go out there tomorrow night? Thanks for the help and tips.
119.jpg

Last edited:
Usually when shooting you want to keep a nice horizontal horizon, the first and third photos have a visibly slanted horizon.

So did you shoot RAW and convert to a JPEG and then upload the files without doing any post work?

If shot as JPEG, it does some adjusting in camera unless set to something like faithful, iirc. If you shoot in RAW, you'll need to do some basic adjustmnets in post for the best optimal photo.

I shot in both RAW and JPEG. I have both types from the camera. What program do you guys use to post RAW images?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back