Level of smartphone photography

You're both missing the point...

I said that the çell phone hasn't REPLACED the dedicated camera...

You simply CAN't argue with that...it hasn't, and, I propose that it never will...

Again, teens and people needing a quick image may resort to them, but, they DO NOT replace what an interchangable lens camera can do...

And, even if 90% of all images on the planet originate from a cell phone, that STILL doesn't mean dedicated camera's are dead...

There's still a need for them, and they are still being, not just made and sold, but further developed...
Right now I carry both and never use the camera in the phone -- for me it's a phone. I always wanted to have a camera with me at all times. It was a goal of mine back in the film days and back then I carried small folding compact 35mm cameras. I never realized my goal with film because it was never immediate, sometimes I wouldn't have film and the cameras were more trouble (compromises over the wrong film which couldn't be changed, etc.).

Digital finally permitted me to realize my goal. I struggled at first finding the camera I needed. I tried to use the really small compacts from Sony and Panny and would eventually become frustrated when the camera prevented me from taking the photo I wanted. The bottom line was that I had to have a camera that saved a raw file. So I had to compromise the camera fitting in a shirt pocket and accept a camera that fit in a jacket pocket. I'm happy now with my Canon G7xmkII which is smaller than my cell phone (but thicker and heavier). I have FX and APS cameras and lenses but can fairly say the G7 is my most used camera -- it's always there.

I would love to not have to carry both and would be happy to make the switch to carrying the phone only. I check periodically to see how the phone tech is coming along. Again a bottom line; if I'm going to make the effort and always have a camera at the ready, when I do encounter something I want to photograph I don't want the camera to screw me up by being incapable. What specifically does that mean? 1. The camera has to be able to deliver a raw file with a 9-10 stop usable dynamic range in good light (non-negotiable). 2.The raw file must be unmolested by the camera maker. 3. I have to be able to take full control of exposure parameters.

Point 1 above -- none of the phone cameras are capable, not even close. Point 2 -- some progress has been made but with big steps backwards as well. Apple's Pro-Raw isn't raw and is very molested with cr*ppy noise filtering that can't be turned off. Point 3 is so far the only check.

I check about once a year to see how they're coming along.

Last edited:
Right now I carry both and never use the camera in the phone -- for me it's a phone. I always wanted to have a camera with me at all times. It was a goal of mine back in the film days and back then I carried small folding compact 35mm cameras. I never realized my goal with film because it was never immediate, sometimes I wouldn't have film and the cameras were more trouble (compromises over the wrong film which couldn't be changed, etc.).

Digital finally permitted me to realize my goal. I struggled at first finding the camera I needed. I tried to use the really small compacts from Sony and Panny and would eventually become frustrated when the camera prevented me from taking the photo I wanted. The bottom line was that I had to have a camera that saved a raw file. So I had to compromise the camera fitting in a shirt pocket and accept a camera that fit in a jacket pocket. I'm happy now with my Canon G7xmkII which is smaller than my cell phone (but thicker and heavier). I have FX and APS cameras and lenses but can fairly say the G7 is my most used camera -- it's always there.

I would love to not have to carry both and would be happy to make the switch to carrying the phone only. I check periodically to see how the phone tech is coming along. Again a bottom line; if I'm going to make the effort and always have a camera at the ready, when I do encounter something I want to photograph I don't want the camera to screw me up by being incapable. What specifically does that mean? 1. The camera has to be able to deliver a raw file with a 9-10 stop usable dynamic range in good light (non-negotiable). 2.The raw file must be unmolested by the camera maker. 3. I have to be able to take full control of exposure parameters.

Point 1 above -- none of the phone cameras are capable, not even close. Point 2 -- some progress has been made but with big steps backwards as well. Apple's Pro-Raw isn't raw and is very molested with cr*ppy noise filtering that can't be turned off. Point 3 is so far the only check.

I check about once a year to see how they're coming along.
Check Sony RX100. Zoom. Fits in my shirt pocket. Built in flash. Raw + jpeg 20mb eye level viewfinder and screen. 4k movies. Full menu.PSAM modes.

Check Sony RX100. Zoom. Fits in my shirt pocket. Built in flash. Raw + jpeg 20mb eye level viewfinder and screen. 4k movies. Full menu.PSAM modes.
A very nice camera -- it was a contender when I selected my G7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back