Light a Drinking Glass

The top piece seems to be not necessary; unless it is close to the glass, it seems to not have any affect. If it is lower, then I notice the top of the glass is more defined. Thus I will remove it when I do the pour.

I don't have elaborate props with which to support the flags. Although I could tape a foam-board to the wall; I'll try that today. I have grids for the lights and I'll test them. Where should the light be directed?

The problem I keep having is the back rim of the glass blends into the background and I still get reflections $140615.1918.0001-3.jpg on the sides.

All of these leads me to try a shot that was suggested in this forum; the silhouette. It will look more dramatic and the white powder will show better, or will it?

At some point a project reaches a conclusion even though the final product is not perfect. Yesterday I did the pour; one more today in a different color and I change the set to photograph the glass and pour as a silhouette. As has been discussed, the white powder does not show. The person I am doing this for likes the photograph. He has not yet seen the silhouette.

View attachment 77101

Do you have a large softbox? If so then shooting a single glass on black should be really easy. Make a black card that fills the frame and put it behind the glass, then put the softbox behind the card. Where the softbox sticks out on either side will light the edges of the glass. This will give you the white silhouette, just as the reverse gives a black silhouette.

How much larger than the frame is the black card?

how close are your black cards in the above? I'd bring them in much closer and just post them out of the shot considering the pure white bg. I think ultimately you should be shooting into an area that's predominately black, with a long seamless white sheet to place the glass on--you're really losing the top section of the glass.

how close are your black cards in the above? I'd bring them in much closer and just post them out of the shot considering the pure white bg. I think ultimately you should be shooting into an area that's predominately black, with a long seamless white sheet to place the glass on--you're really losing the top section of the glass.

The black cards are at the frame edge. I will move them in. I wonder, would a black panel overhead, and out of the frame allow the top of the glass to be more visible?

I overexposed the background so the edge between the back and base would not be seen. Here is a shot with less light on the background. Should I use this set-up and exposure in the final shot?

$140616.1514.0001.jpg

I used a grad in Lightroom and reduced the exposure on the upper portion; This seem better to me and if it is, then I won't need to re-shoot. What are your thoughts?

View attachment 77140

$140616.1654.0068.jpg$140619.1524.0107.jpg

This is how the photos turned out. The person I shot them for is satisfied. I learned some important aspects of lighting. "Thank you!" to those who offered their expertise on this project through feedback in this thread. I appreciate the help.

The turned out really well. Nice job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could tell the story with one picture if the middle photo had the package above it with the powder pouring into the glass and a better color background so the powder could be seen.
Agree with others that the last picture looks not appealing.

Most reactions

Back