Light stands

Unclemaxdesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Howdy folks!

I am new to this forum and I have gotten my first question for you: I am considering to purchase three light stands for three flashes I intend to purchase very soon.
I have found an interesting light stand and found a term that I do not understand belonging to the specifications of the light stand: "sections"
It states that there are "four sections" per single light stand.
I would be most obliged if any of you could solve my confusion.

Thanking you in advance...

Respectfully yours,
Unclemaxdesigns

"Four sections" refers to the number of riser segments the vertical portion of the stand has. Generally more segments or sections will make for a taller stand when extended, and/or a shorter one when retracted, BUT... it comes at the price of stability and strength. The fewer sections [generally] the stronger the stand will be.

In general, on stands of 9 foot height or so, a FOUR-SECTION stand has an emphasis on portability--more, smaller sections make the overall collapsed height more conducive to carrying in a small bag or case. A three-section stand is normal in a 9 foot height stand. Two-section light stands are significantly longer when collapsed, and may be kind of a pain to carry if space is at a premium. The same holds true of tripods: two-section 'pods are often big, beefy affairs, three-section are normal, and four-section tripods are meant mostly for packing around.

Those were two absolutely clear responses, thank you a lot for those!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back