Lighting effect

Your point is well taken but, at a certain point, one has to begin discovering on their own. Really now, who becomes a good photographer without a considerable amount of self-discovery?

There is nothing wrong with getting a push in the right direction but, when that push becomes a shove, perhaps you should have just shot. :D

i have to agree with you here.. i mean, if i just come here and ask what settings i should use in every setting, what am i going to do when i'm outside taking pictures, using the settings the forum gave me for sunny day, and all of a sudden a dark cloud rolls in... i'm certainly not going to run back to my computer or pull out my iphone and come to TPF and say "HELP THE SUN DISAPPEARED... thats not how you learn...

hmm note to self, a cool iPhone app would allow you to hold up your iPhone in a room, it would use the built in camera to read the light in the room, and suggest camera settings.... now.. if only i had any idea how to do that...

Once you start understanding off camera flash, this would be easy.

Household lamps won't cut it, the light just goes everywhere. A strobe of some sort, and either a shoot-thru umbrella or softbox is needed here for direction. umbrella might not work, because just like the lamp, the light goes everywhere, but you can choke it and at least an umbrella has a direction and the vast majority of the light goes one way.

I'd start at ISO 100, 1/250th of a second, f/11 to try and minimize ambient light, set the diffused light behind the subject and to the right, shoot, adjust and bam! there's our shot.

I'd start at ISO 100, 1/250th of a second, f/11 to try and minimize ambient light, set the diffused light behind the subject and to the right, shoot, adjust and bam! there's our shot.

Thanks so much....this is what i was asking for. Somewhere to start...:wink:

Thanks so much....this is what i was asking for. Somewhere to start...:wink:

So long as you're using off camera flash..this won't work with a household lamp like what you're talking about, it'll just be black you need flash, you might get somewhat sort of close if you're in a room with very dark walls and a window with a curtain over it to diffuse.

Ok i'll do my best and try to post the results next week.

I did something similar for a singer songwriter, one light to her right high up with reflector and to her left was a black reflector

434814569_J4ssx-L.jpg

I like both of those pictures. Great job!!!

I did something similar for a singer songwriter, one light to her right high up with reflector and to her left was a black reflector

434814569_J4ssx-L.jpg

I don't want to come off as an ass, but this is just an observation:

When I saw this, I though, "her?"

The square chin, short hair and suit totally makes her look like a man in this.

Most reactions

Back